Topic: 41-48 Hood Latch Bolt

Steves46    -- 10-18-2009 @ 4:38 AM
  The hood latch bolt on my 46 is giving me fits. Most of the time it takes 5 or 6 attemps to get the hood to latch when I am trying to close it. On top of that, once it is closed and latched, whenever I hit a bump in the road, it disengages the latch. I removed the bolt notice a very slight bend on the thread side-could this be the cause of the problem? It also has a nut so I am guessing the height can be adjusted? Appreciate any help on this frustrating problem.

trjford8    -- 10-18-2009 @ 7:59 AM
  Sounds like you have two problems. The shank of the stud should be straight. The other problem is adjustment. The stud can be moved up or down so it can be captured by the latch mechanism. The nut that you see is a jamb nut and once the shaft is adjusted the nut is used to tightly secure the stud into the upper hood latch brace.

supereal    -- 10-18-2009 @ 10:16 AM
  Several things impact the ability to get the hood to close and latch, in addition to Tom's suggestions. The hood should come down evenly and securely on the rear (firewall) end. Poor hinge springs will cause this problem, as will rusty or binding hinge links. If that end drops enough to lift the edge of the hood, getting the front to match will be difficult. Same is true of the edges. Adjusting hinges is time consuming, and often frustrating, but the process starts there. When adjusting, be sure the plunger "bolt" comes down squarely into the latch. Also check the latch to be sure that the parts move easily, and that the release cable isn't so tight as to prevent the full travel of the latch arm. The latch bolt can be adjusted, but do just a turn at a time.

Steves46    -- 10-19-2009 @ 11:49 AM
  Thanks to both of you for the helpful tips. I think my primary problem is the piece that the stud thread through must have broke out of the panel (P/N 16848)and as a fix,the previous owner(s) used a a large nut to press against the panel and the top nut tightens to make it firm. Sure would like to replace the panel but there is little to no chance in finding one.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=158