Topic: Need radiator for 1940 woodie

chrismac    -- 07-20-2010 @ 4:55 PM
  Looking for an original radiator for a 1940 woodie restoration. Must be original core in good usable condition. Got any leads?

Thanks!

Chris

supereal    -- 07-22-2010 @ 8:07 AM
  It is very unlikely that any "original" seventy year old radiator, regardless of the amount of cleaning, will be reliable if you plan to drive the car. Replacement radiators are expensive, but worth the investment. Try the Walker Radiator website, as most vendors don't carry radiators earlier than '49. They are still made for your '40, due to the popularity of that year with street rodders. However, you have to special order them for the flathead hose connections. If you can, opt for the four row tube type for extra cooling capacity.

40guy    -- 07-22-2010 @ 12:50 PM
  Do these Walkers have a split core like the originals?

supereal    -- 07-22-2010 @ 1:23 PM
  At one time they did, but I haven't looked at their site for a long time. At our shop, we buy radiators from a company called "RadPro". Today, there are no reliable radiator shops in our area, and most couldn't successfully tackle the new style with plastic tanks and aluminum cores, anyway. If I find another source, I'll post it here.

sturgis 39    -- 07-24-2010 @ 2:45 AM
  BRASS WORKS WILL BUILD YOU AN EXACT RADIATOR. I LIKE THEM BETTER THAN WALKER. BRASS WORKS BUILT ONE FOR ME AND I HAVE NOT OVERHEATED SINCE IT WAS INSTALLED. BRASS WORKS ADVERTISES IN MODEL T AND A PUBLICATIONS. YOU CAN DO A SEARCH ON THE INTERNET TOO.

mdsbob    -- 07-24-2010 @ 6:36 AM
  Brassworks advertises radiators for Early V-8's.
Here is a link to their site:

http://www.thebrassworks.net/index.aspx

Bob

Bob
E-V-8 Club Member

chrismac    -- 07-25-2010 @ 5:50 AM
  Thanks for the suggestions. My radiator is an original split core model with the crank hole. It was in good gondition. The vehicle ran fine and the radiator didn't leak. In the course of restoring the vehicle I had the radiator claened and the shop said some of the tubes are coroded and he can't get the top tank back on. He solders up a hole and another one appears. I think he's an average shop used to working on more current radiators. Somewhere out there is a shop highly experienced with old radiators that can restore good used cores. That's what I'm looking for. I don't want a new radiator. I want to use the one Henry installed in 1940. If you can recommend a shop that can repair mine, I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks,
Chris

TomO    -- 07-25-2010 @ 7:35 AM
  Chrismac, what area of the country do you live in? If you post this information, someone who lives near you will be able to refer you to a good radiator shop.

Tom

sturgis 39    -- 07-25-2010 @ 8:48 AM
  BRASS WORKS CAN RESTORE YOUR OLD RADIATOR ACCORDING TO THEIR WEB PAGE. THIS MIGHT BE THE WAY TO GO IF YOU CAN NOT FIND A SHOP IN YOUR AREA. IF YOUR RADIATOR IS IN BAD SHAPE YOU COULD SEND IT TO THEM SO THEY CAN MAKE AN EXACT COPY OF IT. THEY HAVE SOME REAL GOOD CRAFTSMEN.

mdsbob    -- 07-25-2010 @ 3:27 PM
  Your core is likely not salvageable...
You can try to find a competent shop locally that can source an identical or nearly identical to original and have them re-core it using you original tanks.
If that service is not available locally, Brassworks can probably provide as close to original core as can currently be sourced.

Bob
E-V-8 Club Member

chrismac    -- 07-27-2010 @ 6:01 PM
  I am in Indianapolis.

chrismac    -- 07-27-2010 @ 6:02 PM
  Thanks for the suggestion. I will contact them.

TomO    -- 07-28-2010 @ 9:29 AM
  Bill Lemaster has been rebuilding radiators for antique cars since the 70's and has lots of experience in flat head radiators. Peoria is not very far from Indianapolis.

Bills Antique Radiator Restoration
1134 W Walnut Street
Chillicothe, IL 61523-1459 map
(309) 645-0606

There is a very active V-8 Regional group in Indianapolis and they may be able to assist you in your restoration.

Their contact information is:
PO Box 1381, Indianapolis, IN 46206-1381 - Indiana RG# 56

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-29-2010 @ 6:12 AM
  CHRISMAC
hhttp://maineradiator.com/ here is another web site for radiator repair,
if you check them out you will see they do it all,
hope this helps good luck,
MOST Modern Radiator Shops Just Replace the Radiator. because they are made out of plastic and aluminum.and just maybe some soldering on the older raditors,
but it is hard to find someone with the knowledge of how to repair or recore a radiator.
hope this helps good luck,
lets hear how you made out,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,,,, 37 RAGTOPMAN,,,,,!!!!!!!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1579