Topic: 53 Ford car brakes pull bad

Dick    -- 07-19-2010 @ 3:34 PM
  Can't seem to adjust my brakes so they don't pull hard to the right. New US made master cylinder and US wheel cylinders. New shoes,new brake hoses,drums turned. No grease on shoes. I even backed off the right side all the way and it still pulled to the right when braking and pettle went down farther. If I brake hard right side will lock up. Don't know what else to do. Any ideas???

supereal    -- 07-19-2010 @ 3:37 PM
  Did you adjust the parking brake cable so the right side isn't partially applied?

Dick    -- 07-19-2010 @ 4:30 PM
  Supereal. Will check that tomorrow. Dosen't the parking brake have equal pull on both brakes?. That wouldn't have any effect on the front right side though
would it?

Pauls39    -- 07-19-2010 @ 4:40 PM
  Have the front end alignment checked. Look for a worn idler, worn pitman arm, or some serious toe-in/toe out issues. Sounds like something in the front end is about to get seriously bad. A good shop should be able to check it out and tell you what is wrong.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-19-2010 @ 4:58 PM
  Did you check to see if the bores in the NEW wheel cylinders are the same,maybe they are different ?
this is a long shot, but worth a look,
and are the brake lining's on correctly. the size, meaning primary and secondary,?
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,
have someone apply the brakes slowly and you try to turn the wheels and see if they are the same.,this will rule [ should] out worn front end parts, if they are the same,

Dick    -- 07-19-2010 @ 5:09 PM
  Haven't checked sizes of wheel cylinders but will do. Smaller shoes are on front. Been alained with new king pins. Rest of front end parts seem ok. No play in steering wheel.

1932BB    -- 07-19-2010 @ 5:56 PM
  Sometimes when the brakes pull, it is not that one is working too well, but that the other isn't working at all. You may have a hung-up piston or two on the left. See if they push in and out easily, just by pushing on the shoes.

Norm    -- 07-19-2010 @ 6:02 PM
  The long shoes go in front!!

Norm

Texas40    -- 07-20-2010 @ 6:55 AM
  Something I do when I want to inspect brakes: I take a sliding clamp and with hub off loosely contain the shoes by laying it across the spindle and onto front and rear shoes. Have someone step on the brake pedal and watch what happens. Sometimes a stuck wheel cylinder will show up on this test and you can check for wheel cylinder leak too.

flathead4rd    -- 07-20-2010 @ 8:39 AM
  The short shoe goes in the front. I think the long shoe goes in front on 48 and older vehicles. Check the brakes on the left side. Your problem might be there.

supereal    -- 07-20-2010 @ 9:58 AM
  Yes, there is an "equalizer" yoke in the center of the parking brake cable, but often one side or the other has jammed in the backing plate. The earlier, Lockheed, fixed anchor brake system was replaced by the Bendix "self centering" type beginning in 1949. The only common factor is that the "primary", or long, shoe goes forward in both types. If installed backwards, overall braking will be diminished, but unless the shoes are mixed up, pulling usually doesn't result. Many replacement shoes have equal length linings. When uneven braking results from installing new shoes or linings, most often the shoes have not been fitted to the drums. If the outer edges of the linings are not champfered to allow full surface contact, the lining is ineffective. This is particularly true if the drums have been turned improperly. We grind the outer edges of all linings, a trick I learned long ago in a dealer's garage. Likewise, the fit of the shoes to the drum should be inspected, and the linings "arced" if more than .010 gap is found between the drum and the shoe. When adjusting the Bendix brakes, they must be firmly applied to center the shoes before beginning.

This message was edited by supereal on 7-20-10 @ 9:59 AM

Dick    -- 07-20-2010 @ 3:10 PM
  Supereal.
I'll Change shoes so the longer shoe is in the front and I will champfered the shoes. Wheel cylinders push in and out ok. I did center the shoes by losing up the 15/16" nut and pushed hard on brake peddle and retighten the nut. Not sure that is the right way to center them though. This brake problem is driving me crazy.

supereal    -- 07-20-2010 @ 4:09 PM
  I suspect that some of the shoes are hanging up before the linings come in contact with the drum, as mentioned in my post. Brake systems always seem so simple, but it doesn't take much to cause a dangerous condition.

Dick    -- 08-07-2010 @ 4:34 AM
  Finally got back to the 53. Installed a new set of shoes on the opposite side of the pull. Problem solved!! Shoes I took off looked fine. Go figure.

51f1    -- 08-07-2010 @ 6:29 AM
  Did all of the lining look the same? There could have been linings with different friction coefficients.

It may not have been the shoes. When you installed the shoes on the opposite side, you could have fixed whatever the problem was and didn't realize it.

Or it could have been witchcraft.

Richard

sturgis 39    -- 08-07-2010 @ 7:07 AM
  SOUNDS LIKE YOUR PROBLEM IS SOLVED. DODGE POWER WAGONS HAVE DIFFERENT SIZED WHEEL CYLINDER BORES. ALL FOUR WHEEL CYLINDERS ARE THE SAME. ONE PISTON IN THE CYLINDER IS 1-3/8" AND THE OTHER IS 1-1/4". THEY ARE ALWAYS DISCUSSING IF THE BIG BORE GOES TO THE FRONT OR BACK. I CAN NOT REMEMBER WHICH WAY IS CORRECT AND I DO NOT KNOW IF YOUR WHEEL CYLINDERS HAVE DIFFERENT SIZED PISTONS. THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT IN CASE THE WITCHCRAFT RETURNS.

Dick    -- 08-08-2010 @ 7:35 AM
  Shoes looked the same. Wheel cylinders were the same. Must of been witchcraft. Just kidding!

Dick    -- 08-08-2010 @ 7:35 AM
  Shoes looked the same. Wheel cylinders were the same. Must of been witchcraft. Just kidding!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1575