Topic: shim steering worm bearings

fordmerc    -- 07-19-2010 @ 10:44 AM
  How thick should the shims be? I had too much end play; I removed too many, steering is now tight. When I start over, what total thickness should I start with? (This doesn't seem like a very exact science.)

supereal    -- 07-19-2010 @ 11:34 AM
  You are right. It is more of an art than a science. The trick is to set the end play when the sector is centered on the high spot of the worm. It is a trial and error situation, much like setting the lash on rear end gears. Sort the shims to separate the various thicknesses, and if too tight, obviously insert a thicker shim, and the reverse if too loose. That is a general view, as you didn't indicate which steering gear you are working on.

fordmerc    -- 07-19-2010 @ 2:13 PM
  working on the '39 Mercury

fordmerc    -- 07-19-2010 @ 2:21 PM
  working on a '39 Mercury. Since it seems that I will have to drain oil and remove the end plate, etc., will adjustment without oil in the box be OK?

supereal    -- 07-19-2010 @ 3:46 PM
  I am attaching the instructions for your 39 Merc, which has the #305 Gemmer box. Don't worry about the oil. We use 140 transmission oil.

fordmerc    -- 07-19-2010 @ 5:24 PM
  Thanks. New gasket shims will arrive tomorrow and I will proceed.

40 Coupe    -- 07-20-2010 @ 7:52 AM
  if you were to assemble the parts and measure the end play with a dial indicator, then add shims of the thickness of the end play and reassemble, your going to be very close to the correct adjustment of zero. no end play or preload.

51f1    -- 07-20-2010 @ 11:25 AM
  Adjusting the gear box end play is messy and time consuming, unless you are lucky. You can do it w/o oil in the reservoir, if the gears have oil on them. If you are draining the oil to make the adjustment, the residual oil on the gears should suffice. If the gears are dry, and you can get to them, use grease instead of oil until you have them adjusted. When you have them adjusted, you can leave the grease on the gears and just add the oil. The thickness of the gaskets will vary slightly from gear box to gear box. I'd start with about 1/16".

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1570