Topic: Vineyard Green

35Phaeton    -- 07-17-2010 @ 6:07 AM
  After 12years...getting close enough to start thinking of paint colors....

Is there a difference in color variation/formula for Vineyard Green between 1934 and 1935 Fords ? and whats the difference??....Saw one of each at the EFV8 meet in NC, there was a striking difference in color, but not sure now if there should be.

Is there a source to purchase just these two paint chips??
I have looked thru the TCPGlobal AutoColorlibr. web site but honestly can make out the colors.

Other than buying from TCPG...does anyone have their respective modern day paint codes in PPG acrylic urthane so as to buy from a local source??

Jim

supereal    -- 07-17-2010 @ 9:29 AM
  If there is any place on your car that still has a patch of the original paint, a good body shop or auto paint vendor can scan it and devise a formula. Many early Ford colors were very dark, sometimes almost black, and years of exposure left them unrecognizable. Look at sheltered places, such as under the trunk lid, glove box, or firewall.

TomO    -- 07-17-2010 @ 9:37 AM
  The code for 1934 Vineyard green is different than the 1935 color and that usually means a difference in color. The mixed paint will probably be different from any color chip that you provide.

Any PPG dealer can access the vintage paint data base and mix the modern equivalent of the color. The standard mix will probably be different from the color chip.

Give the dealer the number on the color chip (M1731-L for the 1934 color) and have him mix a small quantity of the color. Spray the sample on a panel and then have the color adjusted (lighter, darker, more green, less yellow, etc.) for your preference.

Tom

42wagon    -- 07-17-2010 @ 11:22 AM
  Jim
Give TPCGlobal a call and ask Jimmy Chips your question. If there is anyone more knowledgeable about paint I haven't found him.
Ted

42wagon    -- 07-17-2010 @ 11:23 AM
  Jim
Give TPCGlobal a call and ask Jimmy Chips your question. If there is anyone more knowledgeable about paint I haven't found him.
Ted

Savvy    -- 07-18-2010 @ 11:34 AM
  I ordered Vineyard Green for my '34 Deluxe Fordor.
Depending on what page you look at on the TCP AutoColor Library, you will get a differnt paint code.
Listed on Page 1 '34 Deluxe Vineyard Green is (IM-974)(QDE-59); '35 Phaetan is listed as the same code.
However, page 2 the '34 Deluxe and 35 Phaetan VG is listed as (IM-1470)(QDE-59).
One has much more yellow in it than the other, and the other matched my original paint pretty darn well.
Not sure which is which....not near where the car and paint cans are.....sorry.

Don Rogers    -- 07-18-2010 @ 5:13 PM
  Vineyard green should be the same for 1934 and 1935. Ford lists the color with their number M-1731 and the intermix number is IM-1470

35Phaeton    -- 08-01-2010 @ 8:41 AM
  Sorry for the slow response, but thanks for your valued inputs.

I have found the TCPG web site to be confusing but will call Jim chips....

Don, what do you mean by "intermix" number ??

The place where I get most supplies in a Dupont house, and will see how far back they go..

Jim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1562