Topic: Hydraulic brake conversion question

hotroddoc    -- 04-16-2022 @ 1:23 PM
  Hello,

I am looking for suggestions for converting my 36 5 window coupe from mechanical brakes to hydraulic. I want to keep the original wheels. Does anyone have any suggestions on what vendor to use to purchase the backing plates and master cylinder (plus whatever else I may require). would be nice to be able to purchase a complete kit.

Appreciate your help,
Gary

51woodie    -- 04-17-2022 @ 7:25 AM
  Contact Boling Brothers. I put a set on my '46 Coupe, and they are working well. Check out the articles in the tech section, as they give installation instructions for various years.

https://www.bolingbrothers.com/brake-kits-1935-1936/

https://www.bolingbrothers.com/tech/

1931 Flamingo    -- 04-17-2022 @ 7:39 AM
  krylon32 on the FordBarn is a dealer for Boling and he offers 10% OFF.
Paul in CT

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-17-2022 @ 7:53 AM
  hi horroddoc
I do not think you can keep the wide five wheels, with this conversion,,
I might be wrong,
the other WAY is to us 39 to 48 backing plates, 42 -48 is better, easier to adjust, and better ft wheel cylinders, bigger pistons
and you can use your original brake drums, and use the wide five drums
I did this with my 37,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman do your reserch before buying, you can put a want in the CLASSIFIEDS on this web site,

wmsteed    -- 04-17-2022 @ 8:00 AM
  Gary, I think you are going to be hard pressed to purchase a 'kit' to convert your mechanical brakes to hydraulic, while retaining the stock 36-39 wheels.
Most conversion brake kits available from the after-market vendors will be for conversions to later model 5 0n 5.5 bolt pattern wheels with later model hub caps.
My suggestion would be to hunt down a set of '42-48 backing plates, they are quite common and are better brakes than the '39-41.
You will need a set, front/rear '38-39 drums.
The '38-39 drums are quite hard to find, you might have to have a set of drums rebuilt, there are a couple of company's that do this.
You will also need '40-41 front spindles and a '39 Ford peddle assembly.
You will need a hand operated parking brake assemble which can be constructed using '40-41 parking brake cables that operate via a modification to the 36 parking brake handle assembly on the rear of the trans.
There are people that will tell you that there are conversions available to modify the '36 spindles to accept the later drums, for my money the conversion to '40-41 spindles is a clean straight forward simple solutions.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

51504bat    -- 04-17-2022 @ 8:03 AM
  Try the Early V8 Garage
http://www.earlyv8garage.net/
Call: (626) 338-2282

1217 N. Azusa Canyon Road,
West Covina, CA 91790-1004

We manufacture HERE IN THE USA our exclusive no-modification kits to install early Ford/Lockheed or new Lincoln-Bendix brakes on your 1932-1938 Ford. We supply ALL fittings, hoses, brackets, and fasteners required, including pre-bent lines that fit. No cutting or welding is required, and NO drilling is required on 1932-1933-1934 models. One (1) extra hole is required (in the LH rear radius rod for the rear T fitting) on 1935-1936 models, and seven (7) extra holes are required (in the rear radius rods for the rear T fitting and line clips) on 1937-1938 models.

alanwoodieman    -- 04-17-2022 @ 9:43 AM
  I put a set of the floaters on a 36 sedan and they work as good or better than a hydraulic set up and whole lot less trouble to install and you get to keep all the original hubs/wheels/backing plates. I have also done this to two model a's, a 34 coupe

hotroddoc    -- 04-19-2022 @ 4:44 PM
  Thanks to everyone for for the comments and suggestions. I looked at the Boling brothers website and the Early V8 garage website. It looks like you can't keep your original wheels with their kits.

trjford8    -- 04-20-2022 @ 8:05 AM
  Flathead Ted on the Fordbarn produces the brake floaters. A lot of people swear by the floaters and you can keep your backing plates, drums, and wheels. Do a search on this site and the Fordbarn concerning the floaters.

wmsteed    -- 04-20-2022 @ 8:40 AM
  When I converted the brakes on my '36 coupe from mechanical to hydraulic in 1952 I harvested parts from a '40 and '41 Fords. Used '40 steering gears, '39-41 brakes with 5-5.5 lug wheels. I jury-rigged the '41 master cylinder, which for quite awhile worked well. Used many styles of aftermarket hub caps that were constantly being stolen, finally went to '46 Ford caps which lasted for almost ten years.
Over time I came to dislike the early brakes, very difficult to keep in adjustment with the lower and midway adjustment. The clabbered together master cylinder also became a problem in heavy traffic stopping. Moved from Idaho/Nevada in '56 to Los Angeles.
Doing some investigation I found that a '39 peddle assembly would bolt right into the '36 chassis with very little modifications. Since I had already converted the front axle to '40-41 spindles the 38-39 drums would work perfectly with '42-48 backing plates. The wide five 36-39 wheels and '36 caps fit like Henry meant them to be on the car.
I have converted several '36-38 Fords to the components I have suggested with no problems.
The one problem in this day and age is the '37-39 drums.. Drake has the peddle assembly, the '42 -48 backing plates, etc., should be pretty easy to obtain.
If you are going to do the brakes i would strongly suggest that you convert the steering gears to '37-40... A bolt in application that is almost like adding power-steering compared to the '36 worm-sector steering.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

hotroddoc    -- 04-22-2022 @ 5:57 AM
  Thanks Bill

thirtysixford    -- 04-17-2023 @ 5:24 AM
  WMSTEED You say there are a couple of companies who rebuild wide five brake drums. I can't seem to find them, could you give some names or links? Thank you
Mike

wmsteed    -- 04-17-2023 @ 12:41 PM
  Mike, I have talked to Don, at J & G Brake Drum Relining, McHenry Ill 815-276-2578 (www.jgrelining.com) several times about rebuilding old brake drums. Talked to him today..
I have been wanting to get the 39 drums on my '36 refurbished with with new steel drum liners and correct shoes that have been arced to fit the drums
Complete rebuild of the drums with new steel liners, relined shoes arced to fit the drums will cost on the average of $406. per wheel. You have to send them your drums and shoes. The spare set of drums i have look to be in pretty good shape, however, with there age i expect they have been turned before and are out of spec so they will need to be turned over size and new liners pressed in to bring them back to spec.
Some people turn the drums over-size and then shim the shoes to get them back to size, i don't believe this is a good thing to do. Been there done that, terrible brake fad with panic stops. or driving in hilly country.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

flatfoot    -- 05-09-2023 @ 8:54 PM
  Keep the mechanical brakes they are better then the hydraulics. You just have to keep them adjusted. Hydraulics you have to change too much to make them work and they no guarantee they will work any better then original.

JM    -- 05-15-2023 @ 2:17 PM
  Some years back, maybe 10, I went completely through the mechanical brake system on my '35 fordor sedan by repairing or replacing all worn components and adding brake floaters/equalizers at each wheel. This gave me braking that I feel is as good, if not better than any '39 to '48 Ford, with their stock Lockheed type hydraulic brakes, that I had ever driven.
If or when I ever convert any of my early Ford's to hydraulic brakes, it would have to be the Lincoln Bendix style brakes.

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15608