Topic: 39 distributor replacement/ oil filter line

danny boy    -- 04-09-2022 @ 1:18 PM
  Has anyone ran into issues with the oil filter return line when replacing the diver helmet style distributor with the 3 bolt mallory electronic unilite set up ? One of the hold down bolts is actually the bolt for the banjo fitting that screws into the block. The bolt has 2 copper washers that seal. With the new distributor being slotted for timing adjustments the washers and bolt will not seal.

zeke3    -- 04-09-2022 @ 6:28 PM
  Sounds like it is time to find a new location to return the oil from the filter. The one that comes to mind is the dipstick port on the side of the oil pan that has an additional port for the oil filter return. If your oil pan doesn't have that fitting, you would have to remove the pan to change that part.

danny boy    -- 04-09-2022 @ 6:48 PM
  Thanks for the insight. I found one diagram of the banjo fitting for the return bolted to the fuel pump stand. Apparently that was an alternate location on dealer installed oil filters.

40 Coupe    -- 04-10-2022 @ 5:06 AM
  Fords first location for the return line was the fuel pump adapter. Ford changed the location, to the distributor bolt, due to increased oil consumption.

danny boy    -- 04-10-2022 @ 6:35 AM
  Never thought of that,but can surely see that being an issue. Not sure which avenue I wanna take. Don't really want to tap the oil pan at this point. Considering deleting the filter until I do a total rebuild. Honestly the car will only be driven 1k miles a year probally. Thoughts?

kubes40    -- 04-10-2022 @ 7:47 AM
  The increased oil consumption was not directly the fault of the first designed routing. Rather, the oil consumption increased when a mechanic would route the line to the base of the fuel pump stand vs. the designed location, that being the left side of the fuel pump.
Thus, if you are able to source the proper fittings and line and actually route the line as designed, the oil consumption will not be affected.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

danny boy    -- 04-10-2022 @ 11:17 AM
  Any idea where I could locate a picture or diagram ?

TomO    -- 04-11-2022 @ 9:13 AM
  I would keep the oil filter and sell the crab style distributor. The original distributor is much more reliable than the electronic distributors. If you don't drive the car much, you could probably get many years from a set of points. The points should be good for 15,000 miles.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15591