Topic: Side Mirrors for a 1936 Phaeton - Any Solutions?

Garrison202    -- 04-09-2022 @ 5:14 AM
  Hello All,
My 1936 Phaeton has no side mirrors. Although Ford produced two different side-mirror designs in this year (straight arm and curved arm), "neither was recommended for use on the Roadster and Phaeton body styles." The 1935-36 Ford book explains that: "The location of the upper door hinge was too low for this style to be used effectively.
I'm not used to driving without a side-view mirror! Has anyone faced this problem? Has anyone found a solution?

All My Best,
Easter Blessings,
John

v8er    -- 04-09-2022 @ 6:55 AM
  I have successfully used a curved arm outside mirror on the upper door hinge of my '36 phaeton.

Garrison202    -- 04-09-2022 @ 7:33 AM
  Thanks!
I wondered if, though not perfect or "recommended," they'd still be better than nothing.
So good to know.

- John

wmsteed    -- 04-15-2022 @ 9:17 AM
  Attached is a pix of the mirror mount brackets I made for the left and right side of my '39 Plymouth convertible coupe.
Ford and Plymouth both had Briggs Bodies, therefore, they share a lot of similar features.
If some of the purists complain about my mirror mounts at a car show I tell them my car was built at the Chrysler plant in California, therefore there are variations between Eastern and Western cars.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 4-16-22 @ 8:11 AM

same    -- 04-15-2022 @ 11:41 AM

wmsteed, wow,those are verry nice mirrors. polished alum.? Tom.

wmsteed    -- 04-16-2022 @ 8:58 AM
  The '37-41 DPCD open cars, unlike the Fords, had factory applied wind wings that were attached to the outer door skin via 4 1/4- 20 bolts.
I have a set of accessory wind wings that came with my '36 Ford coupe, I never did like the looks of them on my car so they have not been on the car since 1952.
The wind wings on the '37-41 DPCD cars were very well made, heavy cast stanchions attached via 4 -1/4-20 bolts. I made a hardwood buck to form the sheet aluminum over. Attached the mirror's and bracket with similar DPCD counter-sunk bolts and rubber gasket.
I use convex type mirrors, in a size large enough to cover the original mirror, which really improves the visibility on the right side.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15590