Topic: Testing the charging System

sarahcecelia    -- 03-26-2022 @ 6:06 AM
  What are the Easy tests of Generator output; and the Regulator while they they are installed on the car.??

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-26-2022 @ 7:08 AM
  With the car running check voltages.
Paul in CT

sarahcecelia    -- 03-26-2022 @ 2:14 PM
  That's the answer to the question, now PLEASE tell me the HOW; I haven't done it in about 60 years! ( I'm 85 as of March 6th! I'd like to test it while it is still installed on the car, because if it's good, I only have to take the regulator off and replace it.
I know if I take the generator off-put it on the floor, and put my foot on it, (after connecting a jumper cable from the battery to the case, and just touching a jumper cable from the battery to one of the (2) terminals on the generator ; (I think it's the armature post)- if the generator is good good-it will motor! I did it about 60 years ago; forgot to put my foot on the generator- and it JUMPED when I touched the second cable to one of the 2 posts on it!! Scared me real good!!! That's a good test. If the generator was removed for rebuild, "Back in the DAY," the way to go was to rebuild them "On the Spot!" I did quite a few and starters too!! ( the only difference between a starter and a generator-is the starter doesn't have the mica undercut on the commutator, the generator does.)

sarahcecelia    -- 03-26-2022 @ 2:23 PM
  The gauge shows"0" amps! That's why I want to know if it's the generator, or the regulator. Previously the gauge has always showed a charge; started the car one fine day and it showed zero amps- so I kind of ruled it out. I'm trying to use the process of elimination. I believe either the regulator or the generator is bad. (All connections are clean and tight.)

cliftford    -- 03-26-2022 @ 7:29 PM
  Get a Motors or Chiltons manual from this era. they usually have that info.

sarahcecelia    -- 03-27-2022 @ 5:53 AM
  Getting a motors or Chilton manual for the 1950's cars is easier said then done!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-27-2022 @ 9:05 AM

GENERATOR output
you could try to use a jumper wire from the field wire to ground , [ from the generator ] for just a spit second., with a volt meter and see if it charges,
hook up a volt meter ot ampmeter.
if it does this will rule out the generator, and then check the wiring for connections,
Also maybe from sitting the comutator maybe corroded and may need cleaning, this maybe the only problem
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman

TomO    -- 03-27-2022 @ 9:22 AM
  To bypass the voltage regulator in order to test the generator output;
Connect your volt meter between the BAT terminal of the voltage regulator
Connect one end of a jumper to the ARM terminal of the voltage regulator
Start the engine and increase RPMs to around 1,000
Touch the other end of the jumper wire to the FLD terminal of the voltage regulator and read the meter. If the generator is working, you will have 7v or more. DO NOT LEAVE THE JUMPER IN PLACE FOR MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS AS LONGER TIMES WILL DAMAGE THE GENERATOR.

From your description of the problem, it sounds like the contacts for the cutout in the voltage regulator are corroded. Be sure to disconnect the battery before removing the voltage regulator. reconnect after installing the replacement regulator.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15561