Topic: Oil pump

voced    -- 03-15-2022 @ 6:57 AM
  I just overhauled a 1936 LB engine, and installed the double slinger rear main but it still leaks more than normal. It has a new high volume oil pump and think this might be my problem. It holds 50 lbs plus pressure. What pump do you guys recommend that might help my problem and yet do what ever is necessary? thanks Jerry

kirkstad    -- 03-15-2022 @ 9:26 AM
  Hi. I have a stock 36LB engine. I installed a 80lb high volume pump many years ago. I had to cut the oil baffle to make room for the later oil screen and pickup tube that was recommended, but I never did anything with my rear main. My engine has not been rebuilt. I pull 60 lbs when cold with no leaks other than normal seepage with these engines, the reason for the cotter pin in the clutch cover hole. Perhaps the double oil slinger may be the problem? I got mine from MAC,s many years ago, the number on the invoice reads V6600BNHO. Year 1998. I will try and find the invoice for the pick up tube and screen.
Frank

carcrazy    -- 03-15-2022 @ 11:17 AM
  My recommendation would to replace the high volume (80#) pump with an original type low volume (50 #) pump which is correct for your engine.

voced    -- 03-17-2022 @ 5:39 AM
  Thanks for all your help. Do any of you use a rear main drain pipe or just leave it without one. I put one on that goes all the way in the oil.
I also had to remove the pan baffle to make let the pump screen fit.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-17-2022 @ 6:04 AM
  hi oilpump
was wondering when you rebuilt the engine, did you remove the pressure relief valve to make sure
it was not stuck in the open position ? or has a broken spring or compressed spring,?
this is the valve in the block
I have a 80 lb pump in my 37 85hp engine and I replaced the pressure relief valve and spring and the not any real oil leak then normal only a few drops over a long period of time,
exactly were is your oil leak coming from,?
might describing oil leak problem in detail might lead to a solution to your oil leak
hope this helps 37Ratopman ,Maine

voced    -- 03-17-2022 @ 4:43 PM
  The oil leak is coming from the cotter key. I checked the plate on the back of the block where the oil pump drive is. Also, when I rebuilt the motor I put in a new spring and ball under the intake in the block.
Your help ideas are appreciated.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15538