Topic: strange starting

Wilbur    -- 07-15-2010 @ 8:00 AM
  I have a 1940 pickup with a 59AB engine. Usually,not
on an initial start for the day, but on restarts there is an initial engagement-a short pause-another grunt-a pause and it jumps into life. Why am I not getting a continuous strong crank. One worries,the way it behaves, its not going to start. This is even after applying the Battery Minder for a full charge. Something apparently is not right.So--what do you think it might be.Many thanks for any help you can provide.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-15-2010 @ 8:11 AM
  check your grounds and terminals connections,also take the band off the starter and check if it is dirty comutator, clean with a good electric spray,cleaner like CRC.and check the brushes.
if SPINS good cold I do not think it could be the solinoid, but it is possible.
let hear how you made out,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 07-15-2010 @ 9:54 AM
  Put the leads from a voltmeter across each leg of the circuit from the battery to the starter and observe the reading as the starter is engaged. Any reading shows how much power is being lost in that section, and should be subtracted from the battery voltage supply to determine the loss. Suspect undersized cables and corrosion inside the cable terminals. Hot starts are often slow because the starter motor heats up from the operation of the engine, increasing resistance. If the starter bushings are badly worn, this may result in the armature dragging on the field shoes.

TomO    -- 07-15-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  Also check your rotor for play. A worn rotor will affect the timing.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-15-2010 @ 3:04 PM
  If your engine starts just as you release the starter button, usually this in indicates that the coil is weak. The moment you release the button, there is a voltage spike that gooses the coil. The voltage drop caused by the starter draw starves the coil, and if weak, does what you describe. If your coil hasn't been rebuilt, send it to Skip Haney.

TomO    -- 07-16-2010 @ 8:53 AM
  To determine if the problem is timing, or the starter circuit, crank the engine with the ignition off. If it cranks normally, you have a timing condition.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1553