Topic: Glare on speedometer/gauge cluster

jyakel    -- 03-11-2022 @ 7:43 AM
  Gentlemen,
I have a 1950 Ford Custom Fordor, a shoebox Ford. I have a minor problem but one I cannot resolve, glare on the speedometer and gauge cluster. It does not matter if it is a sunny day or cloudy, the glare on the Speedo/gauge cluster glass makes it next to impossible to read the four gauges around the speedometer. To read the gauges I turn the park lights on for a quick minute to illuminate the gauges. Any advice? Any reasonable cures?
Please don't respond with 'only drive my Ford at night'. Thank you.
John

nelsb01    -- 03-11-2022 @ 8:00 AM
  My 1949 is the same.
I believe that it was the same now as 72 years ago when your vehicle was manufactured. I know that my glass is original in my vehicle so, thats what makes me think that this issue was existed that long ago.
I have never thought about turning on the lights to illuminate the gauge faces (mine have lost most of their illumination qualities anyway).
I just move my head to a different position to view.
Sorry I can not give you a solution other than that. I do travel with a 4 inch LED flashlight that I use when starting the vehicle in the garage to check the gauges.

kirkstad    -- 03-11-2022 @ 9:39 AM
  I had a similar problem with my cars speedometer awhile back. When I removed the speedometer to oil and touch up the hands, I cleaned the inside of the glass lens and it solved the problem. I noticed the lens did have a heavy coating of crime when I held it up to the light. My car is a much older year and my gauge cluster is separate, but now my speedometer is clear, but my gauge cluster is still hard to read. I know it is not an easy fix giving how hard it can be to remove and take apart the gauge!

jyakel    -- 03-12-2022 @ 7:34 AM
  Neisb 01 and Kirkstad,
Thank you for your responses. Like I said, this glare is not a big deal but it is somewhat annoying. To me, a big part of driving an old Ford is to be 'one-with-my-car'. I love to hear my flathead start. No other engine has that ca, caw, caw...sound. I shift gears by sound, not a tachometer. The gentle clunk of the OD engaging is reassuring. Checking the gauges is just another way to be one with my car. I firmly believe an old Ford will 'talk' to you. You just have to understand the language it is speaking.
Thanks guys,
John

silverchief    -- 03-12-2022 @ 12:43 PM
  Bought my first car one year after graduating from high school. Found it on a local Ford dealers lot. It was a maroon 49 "shoe box." To me it was the most beautiful car in the world. I almost "simonized" the paint right off it.

Dated my later to be wife in it. I never abused it but recall you could run it up to 60 in second gear, drop it in overdrive and keep right on climbing. I was drafted about a year later and gave it to my sister.

For other reasons I have owned my 46 Super Deluxe coupe for years, but at every Ford meet I immediately migrate to the shoe box section. Great, great memories and one of these days I might just make the move.

jyakel    -- 03-15-2022 @ 6:00 AM
  Hey Silverchief,
Great memories, thanks for sharing. To me, that is what this car hobby is all about; great memories of good times. And our old Fords are a tangible part of those good times from our past.
I enjoyed your comments.
John

lightflyer1    -- 03-18-2022 @ 9:05 AM
  If you are in the sun, polarized sunglasses help a lot with glare. I have used Maui Jims for nearly 40 years now in the Texas sun.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15528