Topic: spare tire cover

chucky    -- 03-11-2022 @ 4:06 AM
  Does anyone know how to put the spare tire cover on a 36 ford. Thanks

Steve Kennedy    -- 03-12-2022 @ 4:54 AM
  I'm sure other s have a better way, but the way I do it is, first I put the ring on the tire, but don't push it back all the way. You will need to walk it back, first the left side, then the right, etc. When it is almost all the way on, then I put the disc on and try to get it to lock. If your spare tire key is different from the trunk and or door key, you might get a picture of the number on the lock just in case you ever loose or break that key. Anyway, once the disc is locked in place, then I put a shop towel on both sides of the disc then continue walking the ring on. The top always seems to go over the disc onto the tire, and you will have to fight it to get everything to line up.

After you get all of that done, then you will want to go out and buy a second spare tire to put in the trunk as you will never want to have to do this again. Don't let your wife help if she has nice finger nails!!!

wmsteed    -- 03-12-2022 @ 9:03 AM
  It has been a long time since I had to remove/replace the spare tire on my '36.
As I recall, the easy way to put the cover on is to deflate the tire once it is secured to the mount, then put the outer ring on to the point that it is not completely on the tire. Install the cover, locking it in place, slowly work the outer ring over the lip of the cover, gloves might be helpful.
Once everything is seated in place, inflate the tire to 28/30 lbs.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

chucky    -- 03-13-2022 @ 4:08 PM
  Thanks for your help. I willgive it a try

chucky    -- 03-13-2022 @ 4:11 PM
  Thanks to you also. I appreciate the help

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-14-2022 @ 6:35 AM

make sure you have a 600/16 tire. and no anything larger
inflate tire after you have the cover on
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

wmsteed    -- 03-14-2022 @ 10:03 AM
  The problem with installing a full tire cover on a '36 is the design of the cover, covers the entire face of the tire, earlier covers were only partial, covering just the tire, not the wheel.
Two more factors; Originally the out ring of the cover assembly had a round 'finger loop' on one edge, most of the finger loops have disappeared over time, making it very difficult to get hold of the ring.
A second factor is the difference in modern tires compared to the tires of the thirties. The tires of the thirties were quite narrow, whereas modern tires have a wider tread pattern.
The old Firestone (1959) 600 x 16 tires on my '36 have a tread width of under 5", the new set of tires/wheels I have for my car have 5.25" tread width. The OD of the tire ring for my August cover is 5.5".

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15527