Topic: 35 Ford Spare Tire Bracket

Peter in NH    -- 03-10-2022 @ 1:25 PM
  Most items such as head lamp and tail lamp brackets have special rubber pieces between them and their corresponding locations. Did Ford also employ any type of rubber between
the spare tire bracket and fast back on a 35 convertible sedan? I haven't seen anything for this area shown in any restoration supply catalogues. So am I correct that originally there
would have been nothing used in that area?

Peter

wmsteed    -- 03-12-2022 @ 10:00 AM
  I have removed several '35-36 spare tire mounts from unmolested vehicles. The '35 mounts are generally cast iron whereas the '36 mounts are generally stamped steel.
i have never encountered anything that appeared to be an insulator/gasket between the mount and the body.
Reviewing a couple tire mounts I have in stock, there was shinny black paint in a circular pattern around the body side of the mount, which would indicate that the mount was in close contact with the body.
My suggestion would be to purchase a 3/4" round rubber disk/gasket, to serve as an insulator between the mount and the body.
Note, the '35 tire mount has been modified, shortened, to move the tire closer to the body.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

JM    -- 03-13-2022 @ 12:45 AM
  On the original '35's I've dismantled, 3 window coupe, and Tudor slantback sedan, there were thin fiber washers located between the cast iron spare tire mount and the painted rear sheet metal panel at each mounting bolt hole.

John

wmsteed    -- 03-13-2022 @ 9:46 AM
  A foot note on the '35 tire mount shown in my earlier contribution.
The cast iron mount was on my '36 coupe for many years so that the later model 5 on 5.5 wheels were on the car, and therefore a matching spare tire was required.
I removed the '35 mount in 1961/62 when I switched the wheels to the 36 wide style 5 on 10.5.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Peter in NH    -- 03-16-2022 @ 2:28 PM
  Thanks for the helpful hints. I have some EBPM (rubber roof membrane ) so will probably make four rubber washers
from that material to help space the mount from the fast back metal.

Peter

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15526