Topic: !937 Tudor door lock removal

fredtaylorf    -- 02-27-2022 @ 3:54 PM
  Question, does anyone know if there's a special tool used to remove/loosen the setscrew holding the lockset in place?
Otherwise, how does one remove the lockset?
The photo below is a view from the actual door frame just above the latch into the site hole accessing the setscrew.
Thank you,
Taylor

marko39    -- 02-28-2022 @ 5:23 AM
  No special tool. These can be very hard to remove. On my 39, I broke off half of the head and then had to drill the screw out.

fredtaylorf    -- 02-28-2022 @ 10:39 AM
  It's a strange looking screwhead almost like a very small hex with a slot.
I'm trying a avoid drilling it out. I bought some of this Superzillow penetrating spray to hopefully ease it up a bit before using a tool to try turning it.
Thank you for your help.
Taylor

zeke3    -- 02-28-2022 @ 6:45 PM
  I have never attempted to drill out one of these screws, but if I did attempt it here is what I would do:
1. It looks like the screw is deep enough you may be able to use the hole to guide the drill bit; use a drill guide to center the bit on the screw,
2. use a left hand drill bit to drill out the screw with the drill turning counterclockwise. Hopefully the bit will catch and back the screw out as you are attempting to drill through it.

fredtaylorf    -- 03-01-2022 @ 3:04 PM
  1937 Ford Tudor
Ok, Boys & Girls, mystery solved!
The set screw is actually a 1/8th inch allen-head setscrew.
Apparently, somewhere along the way the slotted setscrew was abandoned and switched out and upgraded to the allen, I'm thankful for that.
Now we're headed to the locksmith to see if we can key the door's lock to the trunk key, that would be an improvement to the situation.
Thank you to all for your responses and input, it's very much appreciated.
Taylor

TomO    -- 03-02-2022 @ 6:30 AM
  The door lock should be keyed to the ignition key. The trunk and glove box locks are keyed the same.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 03-02-2022 @ 7:52 AM
  And they use two different key ways. The trunk key won’t go in the door cylinder. The locksmith can’t change that.

Another possible complication: The common Bob Drake reproduction trunk handle comes with some odd lock cylinder with key way that doesn’t match either of the originals.

BTW: that’s a beautiful looking car.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 3-2-22 @ 8:35 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15510