Topic: 1937 Deluxe Dash Trim strips

JTHOMPSON    -- 07-14-2010 @ 4:11 PM
  I just got a set of the dash trim strips for my '37 Deluxe slantback. When the car was restored about 20 years ago by my father, he did not have a set of these trim strips to replace the ones that were broken on the car. So, he filled the holes on the dash and had the dash woodgrained. I believe he simply used body filler to fill the holes as that's what I found in the holes for the strips on the glove box door.

I now need to open up the holes in the dash between the instrument clusters and I'm wondering on the exact placement. Does anyone know the exact placement of these strips? I'm looking for the measurement from the edge of the speedometer and the edge of the instrument cluster, either to the center line of the trim strips or the outside edge of the strips.

Maybe someone with a '37 Deluxe can measure for me?

I'd appreciate it. I'd sure like to get these right and not mess up the woodgrained dash...

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-14-2010 @ 5:42 PM
  did you try looking from the back to see if you can find the holes,and using a very small drill redrill the holes.from the back then drill to proper size from the front,lets hope he used body filler and not weld,the new strips should have tabs at the correct distance.UP and DOWN
I will try measuring my strips,and will get back to you,
37 RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,!!!!!!!!!

JTHOMPSON    -- 07-15-2010 @ 4:48 AM
  The dash is in the car so it's pretty impossible to get a good look at the back.

I'm pretty sure they were filled with body filler as that's what was used on the holes in the glove box door. I had access to the back of that and couldn't tell with any certainty where exactly they were. As I looked at the front of the glove box door under a bright light I was able to see a VERY faint 'bump' where the filled holes were. Drilled there and it was thankfully the correct spot.

Tried the same approach with the dash (bright light at an extreme angle) but Dad must have done a much better job with the filling as I can't see trace of where they are.

Measurements would be perfect... Thanks

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-15-2010 @ 7:54 AM
  the strips are 3/4 inch apart,and between the gauge rim and the strip is about 1/4 inch,
this is the best I could do with my restored car,using a ruler,
another member with a DELUXE DASH, that is stripped might have to add to this,
you could pull the speedo to access the back better,
I have a DREMEL TOOL, that acepts small drills,
also a pin vise would work with a drill bit in it, anyhobby shop has these,
good luck lets hear how you made out,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN, 37 RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 7-15-10 @ 7:56 AM

JTHOMPSON    -- 07-16-2010 @ 5:43 PM
  Thanks for the measurements. I'll reserve pulling the speedo and/or instrument cluster as a last resort.

Not to be picky (well ok I am as this is going to involve drilling holes in a really nice looking dash!), but when you measured, did you measure to the center of the strips or to the edge of each strip? When I measure the distance between my speedo and instrument cluster, I get exactly 1.5" from the outside of the chrome rims around the speedo and instrument cluster.

I appreciate your taking the time in answering my questions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1550