Topic: 1938 ford fuel pump question

Ed1947    -- 02-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
  1938 ford coupe with 1946 ford flathead. I am having a hard time starting this car. I have cranked it some much I wore out the starter. When it starts it runs great. I have replaced all plugs, wiring, points, coil, generator, do I need a new fuel pump?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-10-2022 @ 2:04 PM

hard starting engine, is this after it sits for weeks ?
the flex line might have a leak ,,, that leaks air in letting the fuel retrun to the tank and loose its prime, ?
ot the fitting on the intake side of fuel pump
how old is the fuel pump, this hard start all of a sudden ?
do you smell gas after you shut off the engine , you carburetor could have a drip. leaking gas out, draining the bowl
put a paper towel under the card bowl and see if it has any signs of gas,
how is the fuel lines under the car from cowl to the tank
how much fuel in the tank,
more info would help
my 2 cents, 37Ragtopman

carcrazy    -- 02-10-2022 @ 2:20 PM
  Are you sure that you have a functioning ignition system that is providing spark to the plugs? An easy way to determine this is to spray some starter fluid into the air cleaner before trying to start the engine. If the engine does not at least try to fire the plugs, your ignition system is at fault.

TomO    -- 02-11-2022 @ 9:52 AM
  In order to solve your problem you need to do some diagnosis and describe your symptoms in more detail.

Some of the causes of hard starting are: lack of fuel, too much fuel, weak spark or spark at the wrong time and improper starting technique.

To check for fuel problems, before trying to start the engine remove the air cleaner and operate the accelerator linkage while looking down the throat of the carb. You should see two streams of fuel from the accelerator jets. If you do not see them, you have a lack of fuel problem.

Look around the base of the carburetor fuel bowl for signs of leaking fuel. After shutting down the engine look down the throat of the carburetor to see if there is still fuel dripping down into the engine. Either of these is a sign of too much fuel.

If neither of these conditions are present, you may have a spark problem. Start the engine and let it idle. Hold one of the ends of a plug wire near a head nut and observe the spark. It should be blue in color and about 1/2" long. An orange color indicates a weak spark.

Describe your symptoms in detail:
hard starting when cold
hard starting when hot
hard starting all of the time
do you use the choke
do you pump the gas pedal
do you hold the gas pedal to the floor
do you hold the gas pedal partially down
does the engine try to start, but doesn't catch
what you do to finally get it to start

I hope that this helps you.

Tom