Topic: Leaky head...

materguru    -- 02-08-2022 @ 1:58 PM
  Hope all is well...I have a newly rebuilt flathead...49' Merc and I did most of the upper and an engine builder "Dreamwerks" did the internals. That being said, I have a couple of studs that are leaking on the drivers side...if that matters. I was told by a friend out west in CA that should know much as he deals with these motors. He said to pull the problem stud/s and dope them up with a good RTV and that should/would do it. I did that and its still leaking but not anywhere near as bad but I haven't run the engine much more than to tune it at this point. I was also told by some Flatty guys that a lot of times they seal or quit leaking on their on..as you put more miles on it. I would like some qualified advise on fixing the stud leaks please. I know all the funny answers so please something helpful.

carcrazy    -- 02-08-2022 @ 5:16 PM
  To fix a leaky head bolt problem do the following: Drain the coolant out of the engine, remove the leaky bolt, dry it off and clean the threads really well with alcohol or lacquer thinner, coat the threads that screw into the block with Permatex #2 non hardening sealant and reinstall the bolt. Torque all of the head bolts in the proper sequence on the bank of the engine where the leaky bolt was located. Install the coolant and run the engine while checking for leaks. If you still have a leak, you may have to put some Barr's Radiator Stop Leak in the coolant.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-09-2022 @ 6:04 AM
  leaky head
use water in the cooling system till the leak stops, easier to seal and it does not make a mess
carcrazy's gave you good advice,
#2 permatex it the best in my book,

years ago I heard that you can back off the head bolt and wrap string around the bolt and retorque the head,
this is a quick fix, and usually works , this is from the oldtimers years ago

my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

if all else fails use bars leak,

I was tolf my a GM manager that each GM car and truck got 2 of their stop leak tablets at the factory
, for just incase, INSURANCE POLICY
they sell this at the GM dealers,

carcrazy    -- 02-09-2022 @ 6:50 AM
  While working at Ford back in the 1980's I went to an assembly plant to support the launch of a new car line. I was told that each new car received a stop leak "dog turd" as it came down the line to insure that there would be no leaks.

materguru    -- 02-09-2022 @ 1:33 PM
  thanks all. I will all of that. thanks for your input

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15475