Topic: right hand outside rear view mirror

Barney    -- 02-07-2022 @ 5:53 PM
  Hello,
I have a 1940 standard Fordor. I bought two peep mirrors from Mac's. They are 4" diameter, straight arm 5" long, clamps on door flange with two set screws. Mac's catalog claims they can be used on LH or RH side. Mirror on left side can easily be adjusted to see appropriate traffic from driver's position. However, I am unable to adjust RH mirror to view traffic on right side of car from driver's position, regardless of where on the door flange it is mounted. I have hunted online for an acceptable mirror to no avail. Any suggestions as to where to find a mirror suitable for my application? Or suggest what needs to be changed or altered to above mentioned mirror.
Thanks very much,
Barney

carcrazy    -- 02-07-2022 @ 8:14 PM
  To get the mirror to function as a RH unit y0u will have to remove the arm from the base mount and rotate it 180 degrees before reattaching it to the base.

Barney    -- 02-08-2022 @ 4:07 AM
  Good morning, Carcrazy,
Thank you for your quick response. I did what you explained. I believed I've tried every possible position available on that mirror. I have a 'car guy' neighbor who attempted this challenge. Neither one of us could position the mirror so as to be able to view RH traffic in the lane to the right of the car. Maybe I'll need a mirror with a longer arm.
Thanks,
Barney

fortyford    -- 02-08-2022 @ 5:36 AM
  I think that mirror is for looks and nothing else.In other words it is useless!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-08-2022 @ 6:19 AM
  Barney
I have 2 of the chrome hindge pin mirrors, and they seem to work,
have greater movement, for adjusting,
I thought the peep mirrors were for just the drivers side,
if you go with the hindge pin mirrors, be carefull removing the door pins, they might require a press to remove,
and make sure you soak the pins with PB BLASTER.
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman, Maine

JayChicago    -- 02-08-2022 @ 7:48 AM
  Maybe a convex mirror face would help? Would be more like what we are used to in a modern vehicle to see traffic in the next lane. I believe 4” diameter stuck-on mirrors are available.

1940 Tom    -- 02-08-2022 @ 8:37 AM
  Good Morning--

On page 5-11 of Mike's book, he describes the "swan neck mirror" that we are all familiar with, for use on the left (driver's side) of the car. He also gives more info about the availability of the passenger side mirror.

I have "swan neck mirrors" on both the left and right sides of my sedan. However, I agree with fortyford, that the right side mirror is essentially "useless" and is "for looks" only.

I put mirrors on both sides of my car to "balance" its appearance, for show purposes only.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 02-08-2022 @ 10:36 AM
  Jaychicago... Hit the nail on the head, a convex mirror on the right side solves the problem.
I use accessory glue on convex mirrors, that are as close as possible to the mirror head, attached over the existing mirror head. Been doing this for years, works perfectly.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

1931 Flamingo    -- 02-08-2022 @ 12:26 PM
  My Coupe has got "peep" mirrors both sides and I can see out of both. Probably from the 50's.
Paul in CT

Barney    -- 02-08-2022 @ 5:47 PM
  To: fortyford, 37 ragtopman, jaychicago, wmsteed, paul,
Thanks for all of you for your input. I'm tending to agree the peep mirrors are most "all show and no go". Yes, pretty much useless, except the left side works well. I'll plan to get as big of a convex mirror I can find and try it - good idea.
I have Kube's great book. Never thought to look in it for any mirror info. Haven't seen any swan neck mirrors that connect to the side of the cowling. But I wonder if they would allow viewing down the right side of the vehicle. There was only one lane in the 'good ol' days'. I'm planning to drive my '40 down 6-lane highways (3 on a side). Yes, I'm usually in the slow lane but occasionally venture into the middle lane; really want to see lane to my right. I wouldn't think of riding my bike down these highways w/o a RH hand mirror.
Thanks for all the advice. Stay warm if you're in the North
Barney

trjford8    -- 02-09-2022 @ 7:27 AM
  Drake has the swan neck mirrors that bolt to the cowl when you remove the short pieces of cowl trim. The left mirror works fine, but the right cowl mirror is totally worthless. The hinge pin mirrors work the best.

TomO    -- 02-09-2022 @ 7:29 AM
  You cannot see the right hand "swan neck " mirror from the driver's seat on a 1940 Ford or Mercury. Later cars had the same problem.

I do not have a solution to your problem, but ask around to see if the top of the door "peep" mirror or clamp on with a slight arch to the arm will work.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=clamp%20on%20mirror

Tom

wmsteed    -- 02-09-2022 @ 8:50 AM
  I have driven many large profile vehicles, large trucks/RV's through out my driving life. With large profile vehicles the driver must rely on his mirrors to see what is happening around him, especially on the right side. In my book, convex mirrors is one of the better inventions that man has come up with.
In California the driving law states that a driver must look over his shoulder before changing lanes and/or turning. I don't do that, I look in my mirrors, I also use my mirrors when backing up.
I had a commercial license for over thirty years which required a driving test every three years. On many occasions the driving inspector would caution me about not looking over my shoulder when I changed lanes or made a turn. My response would always be that I did not feel I could take my eyes off of the road, where-as just shifting my eyes to view my mirrors was safer. End of discussion!

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15473