Topic: 3rd brush generator

fatdog    -- 02-03-2022 @ 8:27 PM
  can anyone tell me the voltage output for a 6 volt 3 brush generator for normal daytime driving with limited night driving
any help would be appreciated

cheers
fat dog (Australia)

1931 Flamingo    -- 02-05-2022 @ 8:17 AM
  I would think about 6.7VDC.
Paul in CT

40 Coupe    -- 02-05-2022 @ 8:29 AM
  The specifications for the adjustment of the third brush are in Amperes and based upon the year and style of the generator, since different generators have different characteristics. The third brush limits the generator output so the generator does not overheat and burn out. The brush is set by slightly discharging the battery, starting the vehicle and setting engine RPM slightly high, monitor generator output and move the brush so output is at specified output.

kirkstad    -- 02-05-2022 @ 9:04 AM
  I will try to help if I can. I am using my 32-36 engine and chassis manual # V-13. It states basically, under heading "Standard Equipment Generators"....Caution: The following outputs are outputs that the generator is capable of delivering with a plain type generator cut out and not necessarily the rate that should be set on the car_cold 12 amps at 7 volts at 1500 rpm_hot 10.5 amps at 6.9 volts at 1500 rpm. It goes on to say, " Regulate the output to suit the (car owners requirements and batt. capacity"). I know this may not help much, but what I used to do with my 36 is move my brush so my amp. gauge would be just showing a charge when driving during daytime. I would set it a little higher when the days were getting shorter and I knew I may be driving home when dark.
Frank

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-05-2022 @ 11:08 AM

You can set the amp meter at 1-3 amps, with lights on this way there is no discharge.
and you can run with the light on during the day,
I have done this on a MODEL A, and never had any problems
if you think the battery is getting low, turn off the light when driving for 20 30 minute,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman, Maine

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15469