Topic: winter startup '37 flathead

same    -- 02-01-2022 @ 9:05 AM
  what's your guy's opinion of starting up the flathead in garage and letting idle raising up revs a little,holding, warming up for 20 mins or so to operating temp? garage stays between 40-50 deg. in winter.

nelsb01    -- 02-01-2022 @ 2:26 PM
  The first question is why?
If you aired the tires, changed the oil, filled the gas tank and added stabilizer -- it should be set for warmer weather.

IF.......you want to do this, then add at least a 20 mile drive to the mix. Just letting it idle with occassional revs will only allow moisture to remain in the block and exhaust parts causing more issues.

And besides --- you didn't say anything about opening up the door for ventilation --- we'd like to be able to answer more of your questions, and you wont ask any more when the CO2 gets you.

Just be safe.

TomO    -- 02-02-2022 @ 9:37 AM
  That is a procedure that is sure to generate some sludge in the engine. You should try to avoid any long periods of idling, it is bad for the engine.

Nelsb01 gave you good advice.

Tom

51woodie    -- 02-02-2022 @ 12:45 PM
  My stock '46 Coupe gets oil change, fuel stabilizer, put up on jack stands, battery removed, and left for the winter. I have, like others I'm sure, another car that is only summer driven, a 90hp outboard, riding mower, snow blower, a 9000w Honda generator and other miscellaneous gas powered seasonal pieces. Like the '46, all I do is change the oil and add fuel stabilizer. It is a rare occasion when one won't start and run well, after sitting for months. So bottom line, I don't start any of the above listed items, until it's time to put them on the road or to use them.

51woodie    -- 02-07-2022 @ 12:07 PM
  Went out to the garage (unheated) this morning, to have a look at the '46 Coupe, and take a picture for a fellow V8'r. At 15 deg F (-10C ), this is what the outside of the engine looked like. Those little white specks are ice crystals. Have to wonder what the inside look like!

nelsb01    -- 02-07-2022 @ 1:15 PM
  You have humidity.
This is the same thing that happens on car windshields when the vehicle is left outside, with the warming and cooling of the temperature.

Not thinking anything bad on the inside, because of the oil coating.

It's only 17 degrees here right now, and yes I had to scr*p my windshield this morning.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15462