Topic: oil pan removal

Zero    -- 02-01-2022 @ 6:31 AM
  How difficult is it to remove and reinstall the oil pan on a 37 model 78? Any advice would be helpful.
As always, thank you in advance for any advice and wisdom.

John Z.

TomO    -- 02-01-2022 @ 7:47 AM
  John, it depends on how good you are at working while laying on your back. If you are very good, it is a challenging job, if you are poor it is a difficult job.

You have to :
drain the oil
jack up the front of the engine about 2" to get at the front pan bolts and support it in the raised position
remove the drag link and tie rod
remove the cover from the wishbone ball and wedge the wishbone down
remove the starter
remove the pan bolts
turn the engine so that the front crankshaft counterweight will allow the pan to move between the crankshaft and the front cross-member.
Slide the pan towards the back of the car until you can remove it.

When you install the pan, be careful to make sure that the cork seal between the pan and the block is not disturbed.

If I have forgotten any steps, someone else will add them.

Tom

Zero    -- 02-01-2022 @ 10:17 AM
  Tom, thanks for your response. As usual you are a wealth of information. My concern was any gunk build up at the bottom of the pan. Oil pressure seems to be fine at 20ibs at idle. Pressure increases nicely as i increase speed. I'll live with the leaks for now. Tom, once again thank you.

fordv8j    -- 02-01-2022 @ 3:43 PM
  Remove oil filler cap, or maybe fuel pump stand,if you don't want to break it; don't ask how I know, also got dent in firewall

ford38v8    -- 02-01-2022 @ 4:08 PM
  Of all under-the-car tasks, this one tops the list for reasons to wear goggles.

Alan

TomO    -- 02-02-2022 @ 9:32 AM
  Thanks for the additions by fordv8j and Ford38v8.

Tom

Zero    -- 02-03-2022 @ 12:55 PM
  Thanks to all for your replies.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15461