Topic: How do you remove a 37 Phaeton fuel tank?

BRL    -- 01-28-2022 @ 9:45 AM
  Hi:
I am in the process of removing the fuel tank in a 37 Phaeton. While the PB Blaster is working on the drain plug I started to look around at the filler attachment. Apparently I have a early style filler arrangement where you have this long threaded nut that attaches somehow to the tank and then threads to the curved metal filler on the fender. I went ahead and PB blasted it last night but now I am wondering if I need a special tool to remove it since I saw it had a pattern of holes around its circumference. Can anyone advise how to remove this filler attachment arrangement? If I need a special spanner wrench please advise where I can get one.
Regards,
BRL

Kens 36    -- 01-28-2022 @ 1:21 PM
  BRL,

You do need a spanner wrench. You can figure out the approximate size by measuring the sleeve. They are available from many sources, including Amazon. On Amazon just search for "spanner wrench" and several are available.

I bought mine at Sears (RIP) years ago.

Be sure to soak the threads with a penetrating oil such as Kroil or PB Blaster and take your time. It should come loose fairly easily.

Ken

trjford8    -- 01-29-2022 @ 3:30 AM
  If you are going to reuse the stock tank be sure to get a new seal for the neck when it goes back together.

BRL    -- 01-29-2022 @ 4:30 AM
  Hi Guys:
Thanks for the info and advisement. I still am not understanding of how the threaded nut attaches to the tank itself. Does the nut have an internal thread that mates to a male thread on the tank? On the other end of the nut, I assume it has a female thread that attaches to a male thread on the curved filler tube that goes to the fender....? If this is the case, I dont understand how you can unthread one of them without tightening the other. With the tank installed in the car I cannot see what the nut/tank connection looks like. Please advise.
Regards,
Henry

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-29-2022 @ 7:30 AM
  This one is from Drakes.

BRL    -- 01-29-2022 @ 11:43 AM
  Hi:
OK thanks 37Sedan...I understand how it attaches now.
Regards,
BRL

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-29-2022 @ 12:15 PM
  Good luck.
I have had mixed results when reinstalling the filler tube. I believe on stock cars there is a lead washer that goes between the tube and the tank. I tried this a couple time and ended up with a slight gas leak both times. The third time I used gas proof sealer on both sides of the washer and that did the trick.
gregg

trjford8    -- 01-30-2022 @ 9:31 AM
  If you need a new tank get the later model one with a new neck that uses a short hose to connect the two. The threaded neck was not one of Ford's better ideas and that' why they changed it.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 1-30-22 @ 9:32 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-30-2022 @ 10:04 AM
  hi
you need to soak the area with PB BLASTER,
you could try installing nuts in the holes, and see if they stick out, then use a chain wrench on to top of the nuts,?
this might be worth a try,
the fire dept uses spanner wrenches, on the hose connection, on fire hydrants
or your water dept,
it is easier with the fender removed, this way you can install a new rubber for filler neck
make sure you do not cross the treads,!!!! WHEN REINSTALLING,,,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 1-31-22 @ 8:51 AM

BRL    -- 04-08-2022 @ 7:51 AM
  Hi Guys:
So after a couple of months of soaking the filler tube/tank attachment threads with PB Blaster and tapping with a hammer the filler neck finally agreed to unthread. I used a vice-grip chain clamp(pliers) to grip and turn. I still needed a 1 foot long cheater bar to get it turning. There was not a lead washer between the filler tube, so I guess I need to get one. Tank is off to the radiator shop to get a good cleaning. Note my photos of hardware...does it look like I have all the correct hardware? Anyone have any advice for any other maintenance things I should take care of while the tank is out? I have the carb, fuel pump, and sending unit rebuilt and ready.
Regards,
BRL

BRL    -- 07-07-2023 @ 9:17 AM
  Hi Guys:
I had taken the tank to my local tank cleaner who used their standard acid cleaning process for $150 and the outside of the tank was very clean but the inside still was very rusty. So I decided to buy a reproduction tank from a parts supplier and just be done with trying to clean up the old OEM tank. This tank was supposed to be an exact replacement for the OEM tank. See post topic "1937 Fuel Tank-Sender Fit Problem" dated 08-09-2022 to find out how this fuel tank saga ends.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-09-2023 @ 11:33 AM
  HI
using the original tank, there is a guy that uses a old cement mixer, attaches the gas tank to it,
adds box or 5/15 nuts and water and this cleans the inside of the tank,
pick the nuts out with a magnet, let the tank air dry in the sun light,
then uses EASTWOODS gas tank sealer.
I hope you get the new tank to work ,wiht original sending unit
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15455