Topic: choke cable replacement

46coupe    -- 01-06-2022 @ 5:29 AM
  Happy new Year everyone

My choke cable broke 2 inches from the knob. Searches did not help, probably because i didn't use the right term. Is there anyone I can contact that will have the cable? The choke rods are ok it's the cable from the dash to firewall that I need. Is there any way I can reach the fastener since the dash has a lip preventing me from seeing or reaching the fastener?

TomO    -- 01-06-2022 @ 7:22 AM
  Many years ago Drake made replacement cables. I doubt that any vendor has old stock left. Your best bet is to place a want ad for a good used one. The 1942 - 1947 Ford cables are the same length, just the knobs are different.

The retainer for the cable is a horseshoe clip and you will have to put on your contortionist body to get at it. I used to lay with my head on the floor and my butt on the seat to see and remove the clip. Now I have my son do it.

Tom

kubes40    -- 01-06-2022 @ 7:38 AM
  Buy a length of the cable at any farm supply place... it is sold in the small engine repair section. You will have to cut it to the appropriate length and attach it to your dash knob.
I had to do this with a very early '39 I'd restored. Those parts were simply not available anywhere.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

46coupe    -- 01-06-2022 @ 9:40 AM
  Ok. Thanks for your help guys.

46coupe    -- 01-07-2022 @ 4:27 AM
  Mike, do you remember how long the cable should be to get to the linkage?
Thanks

kubes40    -- 01-07-2022 @ 6:23 AM
  I do not... sorry.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 01-07-2022 @ 7:56 AM
  If you purchase a universal choke cable as Mike has suggested I have found those cables are even long enough to be used for the hood cable. Many of the automotive parts stores carry those cables.

TomO    -- 01-07-2022 @ 8:34 AM
  The green book lists the length at 35". I believe that is from the dash to the carburetor.

Do you have the clamps that hold the cable steady and mount on the engine side of the firewall? They help the operation of the choke and throttle.

Tom

46coupe    -- 01-10-2022 @ 1:23 PM
  I have the clamps and I did get the cable out. I want to remove the choke knob from the old wire and install it on the new one. I think I read somewhere on the forum I could heat the knob with a hair dryer to soften the glue and remove it. Did I remember correctly? Also what adhesive is used to secure it to the new cable? Epoxy?
Thanks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15411