Topic: Antenna Protector

51woodie    -- 01-02-2022 @ 11:41 AM
  I was getting frustrated trying to put the cover on my '46 coupe by myself, without bending the roof antenna. I had someone to help the last number of times I covered the car for the winter, so there was no problem. So I could do it myself, I decided that a little woodworking job was needed, and built a support for the antenna that attached to the roof with magnets. The two magnet faces are covered with a layer of packing tape to prevent scratching the paint, and the cross piece has felt chair pads.

TomO    -- 01-03-2022 @ 8:23 AM
  That is a neat solution to the problem. Thanks for posting it.

Tom

kubes40    -- 01-04-2022 @ 10:26 AM
  Why not simply order a cover with a pocket for the antenna?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 01-04-2022 @ 11:18 AM
  I agree with Mike. Most car covers come with a grommet that can be put in the cover to go over an antenna.

51woodie    -- 01-05-2022 @ 6:16 AM
  Even if I had a pocket or grommet, I'm not sure how I could put the cover on myself without stressing the antenna. Any tips?

woodiewagon46    -- 01-05-2022 @ 6:44 AM
  I would think a pocket or a hole in the cover is asking for trouble. Getting it over the antenna in the center of the car could be problematic. One slip and it could snap and once you do get it in the pocket or thru the hole, if the cover slides off the waxed surface it could also snap the antenna off. Try your solution and see how it works, you might have others copying your idea.

TomO    -- 01-05-2022 @ 10:01 AM
  I had the grommet installed on my first car cover and it is a pain to get the cover over the antenna. The cover keeps sliding around as you try to get it in place and I bent the antenna more than once. Maybe I am just a Klutz. Most winters, I leave the cover off and just give the car a good cleaning in the Spring.

Dennis Carpenter still lists the antenna for the 1940 Mercury, but it has been out of stock for 5 years or more. if I bend my antenna, I cannot replace it. The Ford antenna does not work very well in the Mercury.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 01-05-2022 @ 2:56 PM
  One solution for those who have an antenna mounted on a fender or the top of the cowl is to use an antenna that fully retracts to near the mounting surface. One such unit is available from Moss Motors. Their Flush-Fit Antenna when fully retracted only protrudes about 1 1/2" above the mounting surface. One downside to this antenna is that it requires an 11 1/4" depth below the mounting surface. Of course this antenna would not be correct for a judged car. The part number for this antenna is 386-971. Another nice feature of this antenna is that when it is fully retracted, a key is required to extend it so the chances of it being extended and broken off by vandals is greatly reduced.

trjford8    -- 01-07-2022 @ 8:09 AM
  If the wand part of the antenna unscrews from the base you can buy very short replacements on e-Bay. Just got one and it's only about 2" tall. Price is about $4.00 No worries about using the car cover. These only work on the top mount cowl antenna.

51woodie    -- 01-11-2022 @ 7:39 AM
  Some good suggestions, but my '46 is a stock Super Deluxe Coupe, and the antenna goes from the dashboard by the wiper switch , up through the roof in front of the mirror mount, and can be extended/retracted from inside the car. There is a plastic collar that is used to slide the antenna up and down. No options to remove or modify, and remain original.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15403