Topic: Ford 48 Convertible

fkunzendorf    -- 07-12-2010 @ 11:56 AM
  I just bought a Ford 1948 convertible, white with withe top. I want to getting back to original condition, but I'm not sure if the color is the original, because I see some parts like the engine compartment with some light green painting remains
Any advice is highly appreciated
Regards
Fred

Bill4d1merc    -- 07-12-2010 @ 1:05 PM
  Hi Fred,
Firewalls are painted the same color as the body. I do not see a light green color option for 1948.
I am getting this information from the 1941-1948 Ford book that is available on this sight. It is a great resource for a lot of information on your vehicle.

Bill

fkunzendorf    -- 07-12-2010 @ 2:41 PM
  Hello Bill
Sorry for my ignorance...You mean the Ford book corrections?...or is there another book that I didn;t see?

Bill4d1merc    -- 07-12-2010 @ 5:06 PM
  I'm sorry I should have mentioned you can purchase the book. Under Online Store click on shop then on Ford Books there you will see the 1941-1948 Ford Book I was referencing

Bill

TomO    -- 07-13-2010 @ 7:13 AM
  The color is similar to the Shoal Green Gray chip on the Autocolor library web site

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1948-ford-pg01.jpg

This was a spring color that replaced Rotunda Gray In Feb, 1948.

To find a good representation of the original color of your car, look at the inside of the body by the rear quarter windows. This area is seldom repainted unless a complete restoration is done.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-13-2010 @ 10:57 AM
  The most prevalent colors for the '48 convertible were Maize Yellow, Pheasant Red, Dynamic Maroon, Feather Gray, and Black. Tops were either tan, or black with red piping. I did a lot of digging on the subject when we restored my '47 convertible. The best source of chips and info came from the PPG book, now a "Polyprints" issue #V-25, available from many vendors. White with a white top would almost certainly not be original. Usually, the firewall was not repainted, and is likely the only place the original color can be found. The only green shown for '48 was Glade Green, a very dark, almost black hue. Some '46 cars were painted a very nice light "Nile Blue Green".

fkunzendorf    -- 07-13-2010 @ 1:52 PM
  Tk you a lot
It seams I got a weird one...Probably it had being repainted many times...
Regarding the original colors..I wonder if there is any information from the factory, indicating what color match the VIN #...
Thank you again
regards
Fred

supereal    -- 07-13-2010 @ 4:55 PM
  No, the numbers only identify the year and the production serial number. Ford dealers could order non-standard colors, but that was rare. Most old cars have layers of paint that must be removed before attempting to repaint. Lots of lacquer was used then, but not today. We like the clear coat process. It is extremely durable if properly applied, and looks new for a very long time.

47Fordor    -- 07-14-2010 @ 4:32 AM
  I looked at Tom's link and it looks like "Parrot Green Poly" to me. Some of the old paints (certain colors especially) had a tendancy to fade worse than others. I have a '47 that was "Monsoon Maroon" but, after a few fender benders, the body shop had such a hard time matching the color that they just painted it black.

Hey, look at the bright side: since the serial number doesn't tell the color, you can paint it any original Ford color and nobody can say it's wrong. My dad's '48 convertible is "Barcelona Blue", if I remember correctly, and it really looks sharp (aside from the fact that it is the original paint and has some bad spots in it).

Chris

fkunzendorf    -- 07-14-2010 @ 4:48 AM
  Well...I followed your instructions!...I found some layers of what was probably a PARROT GREEN. IT make sense that the dash board and door panels are also light green.

42wagon    -- 07-14-2010 @ 7:06 AM
  Fred
Your picture is a clue. The dashboard and window trim originally were wood grained. The lower portion of your steering column is the correct color for the steering column. The upholstery and paint is not correct for your car and it obviously has been repainted and reupholstered. Parrot Green was never a Ford color in the 1940s. Can you post a picture of your firewall as that may be a clue as to the true color for this vehicle?
Also the underside of the fenders and hood were painted the same color as the outside of the vehicle. What color are they?
Ted

TomO    -- 07-14-2010 @ 7:20 AM
  The dashboard and panels were repainted. Your convertible would have had a wood grained dash board originally.

It is difficult to tell a color from a photograph and when you add in the monitor of a computer, it becomes more difficult.

The advantage of not having an original color code as part of a trim tag or VIN, is that you can pick out a color that you like and paint your car that color.

If you would like to go back to the color of the firewall, have samples mixed of 2 colors that are close and then spray each of them on a panel. Decide which looks better to you and then have enough paint mixed to paint your car and have a quart left over.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-14-10 @ 7:27 AM

supereal    -- 07-14-2010 @ 8:31 AM
  When I bought my '47 convertible, some numbskull had painted the entire inside of the car black! One whole winter was spent stripping this strange stuff, which I assume came from a spray can, then learning the woodgraining process. Have fun!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-14-2010 @ 10:06 AM
  paint it one of the original colors that you like,,,, you are the one that will live with it,and best for selling, if you have to.
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1540