Topic: '53 Ford Station Wagon identification

jay 1124    -- 10-17-2009 @ 11:43 AM
  I am in the process of scanning photos I have taken of old cars and trucks during the last several years into my computer. Yesterday I spotted something that got by me when I took the photos. A 1953 Ford 2-Door wagon with Customline trim, taken at Fred's Museum in Appomattox, Virginia. The museum may be closed now.

My understanding is that the only 2-Door wagons Ford built in '52-'53 were the Mainline models. Every Ford book I have states this and that Ford introduced a 2-Door Customline wagon in 1954. Can anyone explain this?

supereal    -- 10-18-2009 @ 10:43 AM
  Jay; My references show that the only 2 door wagon in '52 was the Mainline 59A. Same was true in '53. By '54, a 2 door wagon was also available in the Customline as 59B, so my info agrees with yours. It is entirely possible that someone added the Customline trim to dress up the plain Mainline wagon, or was able to order the upscale trim. Then, as now, dealers had some latitude in ordering non-production versions. As far as I can see, all 4 door wagons were "Country Sedans".

jay 1124    -- 10-18-2009 @ 2:41 PM
  If someone added Customline trim to a Mainline they included everything including the window trim. Was the horn ring on a '53 a half circle or full circle. I can see a little less than half of the steering wheel and no horn ring but if it was a half circle it would not show.

supereal    -- 10-19-2009 @ 8:36 AM
  The book, FORD CHRONICLES, shows the '53 horn ring as a half circle. The text says "Except for the extra trim around the knobs that flanked the speedometer, Ford's dashboard showed no change". All '53 steering wheel hubs held a "50th Anniversary 1903-1953" medallion. The presence of upscale window trim would seem to indicate it was a special order, if it was not added later. Today, lots of time and money is spent on upgrading apparent model appearance. Hence, the "clones" you see in the TV auctions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=154