Topic: Dash wiring on a 1951 Ford Custom Club Coupe

Davebush    -- 12-30-2021 @ 8:45 PM
  Looking for the best approach to do the interior Dash wiring on a 1951 Ford Custom Club Coupe.

Is it better to remove the dash and install the wiring to the instrument cluster, light switch, clock, etc

or remove the instrument cluster and terminate the new wires on the instrument cluster reinstall the instrument cluster and then run wires to the light switch, clock light, cigar light behind the dash?

Thank You!
Dave

Gordon T    -- 12-31-2021 @ 6:16 AM
  Dave; The front seat was out when I did my '51 and it made things easier. Try to be comfortable and don't hurry, most of the dash components were in place. Hope this helps, wish I had a Club Coupe.

51woodie    -- 12-31-2021 @ 7:30 AM
  Dave. With the assumption that you will be replacing with repro wiring, take lots of picture from a lot of angles. Tag old wires with tape as you remove them for future reference. It will be helpful to have a wiring diagram to follow as well. The harnesses that I bought from Tyree Harris had sheets that identified the wiring.

TomO    -- 01-01-2022 @ 11:44 AM
  It depends upon how easy it is to get to things like the gauges and switches. I did my 40 Merc both ways. Once with the dash in the car and once with the dash out of the car. If I have to do it again, I will leave the dash in the car. It definitely is easier to lay on the floor with the front seat removed.

I cannot get my hands near the heater switch, starter button and turn signal wires on my 53 Lincoln unless I remove the dashboard, so I would have to remove the dash to rewire it.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 01-01-2022 @ 2:09 PM
  When I did a 1953 Ford several years ago, I removed the front seat, lay on the floor and with the help of a pillow, mirror and droplight was able to completely install the under dash wiring. The job can be challenging so just be patient and take your time. Be sure that everything works properly before reinstalling the front seat.

Davebush    -- 01-04-2022 @ 1:34 PM
  Thank You all for the responses. I have removed the front seat. The two front headlights, parking/turn signal lights and cross over wiring has been replaced. The wiring to the oil pressure sensor, Temperature sensor, horns, Starter solenoid have been disconnected. Cut the wiring harness at the firewall. The next step to come will be to unbolt the instrument cluster/speedometer. check and clean associated gauge and install new wiring.

Thank You again for the input!

David

Gordon T    -- 01-10-2022 @ 5:43 PM
  I used Tyree Harris' wiring and found it fairly friendly, drawings were easy to follow.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15395