Topic: Stromberg 97 carb-emulsion tube removal

BRL    -- 12-29-2021 @ 1:05 PM
  Hi Guys:
This post advises that a larger than #6 (.138-32) tap can be used to remove stubborn emulsion tubes. I used a M4 (4mm-.70) tap that is larger than a #6 tap but smaller than a #8 tap in the removal procedure as advised by the Stromberg tech website. My carb is a stock 97 and emulsion tubes are stock size. The #6 tap advised by the Stromberg guys just kept stripping out every time I lightly hammered the tap with a 3/32 dia rod...so I didnt want to keep tapping deeper into the emulsion tube as I was worried I would ruin the emulsion tube. Judging the OD of the emulsion tube I figured that a larger tap such as M4 (.157" dia) would not break out the tube wall at the tapping end so I tried it and it easily tapped in with 3 or 4 threads and held easily with punching it out with the 3/32 (.093 inch) dia rod. Now that the emulsion tubes are out, I would say there is enough wall thickness where you could use a #8 tap (.164 inch dia) without damaging the tube. I would not tap more than 3 or 4 threads as you dont want to change the flow characteristics of the tube.

As dirty and old as my carb was, I could tell that it would take a long time to loosen up the emulsion tubes by soaking in PB Blaster. After 2 days I just gave up and decided to punch them out...glad I did because I could tell that they would never have loosened up with solvent.

Regards,
BRL

40 Coupe    -- 12-29-2021 @ 4:50 PM
  So as not to remove any more brass than necessary I use the 6-32 tap about 3-4 turns deep. Remove the tap, spray with a bit of penetrating oil, then using a long threaded 6-32 rod, washer and nut. Thread the rod into the new threads, place washer over the rod, than the 6-32 nut. Thread the nut down to the washer and continue to thread it down to slowly draw the tube out. No hammer needed

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15392