Topic: Changing to Hydraulic Brakes

toms32    -- 07-12-2010 @ 9:12 AM
  I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE OVER TO jUICE BRAKES ON MY 1934 1/2 TON PICKUP. I AM HOPEFUL THAT A NUMBER OF MEMBER HAVE ALREADY GONE THIS ROUTE AND CAN GIVE SOME GUIDENCE. I UNDERSTAND THERE IS A KIT TO INSTALL 39-48 BRAKES ON THE FRONT. I DO NOT SEE ANY FOR THE REAR. DO THEY SIMPLY BOLT ON. Thanks Tom

CharlieStephens    -- 07-13-2010 @ 10:34 AM
  Tom,

I assume that they are the same as a '32 which means they simply bolt on. Sometimes there is interference with the drum and backing plate which will require machining the drum or using shims on the axle. Be sure to contact Richard Lacy, earlyv8@aol.com, (626) 338-2282, about the master cylinder mount he makes

Charlie Stephens

wmsteed    -- 07-16-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  The conversion from mechanical to hydraulic brakes is a pretty easy process if you use the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle.
It has been a common practice for the past forty plus years to use a '39 Ford peddle assembly to mount the master cylinder.. Some slight modifications are required to accomplish this...eg. re-drilling a couple of frame holes and the relocation of the battery because the master cylinder will encroach into the the battery box.
The '39 peddle assemblies are becoming very hard to find, however, I understand that Bob Drske is making them now.
There is an after market mount assembly that was mentioned in an earlier posting to this topic.. the one draw back to this application is that the assembly hangs below the frame, therefore, many people find it to be very unsightly.
Use '42-48 backing plates... they are easier to find and work better than the '39-41 brakes.
The '34 rear drums should work with the hydraulic backing plates.... If they wont work use '40-48 drums, same bolt pattern as the '34's, however, be careful with your '34 wire wheels, if you still have them on the truck. The shoulder of the wire wheel hubs are made to fit on a shoulder of the '34 drums, without this shoulder, the wheels do not properly seat on the drum hub.
Replace your front spindles with '40-41 spindles and '40-48 drums.
If you don't want to replace the spindles you will need and adapter ring to fit the backing plates to the spindle... The adapter is available from many sources.

Now... don't that sound easy...

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

stewgibb    -- 07-16-2010 @ 11:01 AM
  What about the brake fluid? Is there any special requirement?

supereal    -- 07-16-2010 @ 12:25 PM
  DOT 3 is the conventional fluid. Some prefer DOT 5 silicone fluid. but it has its own drawback, such as difficulty obtaining a "hard" pedal due to air entraining which resist bleeding and, of course, higher cost. If you are starting with a completely empty system wich has not held DOT 3, it will be easier to install DOT 5.

39 Ken    -- 07-17-2010 @ 5:07 AM
  I second Charlie's recommendation for Richard Lacy, earlyv8@aol.com, (626) 338-2282. As concerns DOT 5 fluid; I have three old cars using DOT 5. No problems with getting a hard pedal using the proper bleeding technique. Add the fluid slow and easy, avoiding indroducing air into the system. No pumping of the brake pedal, just apply slow, even pressure to the pedal while opening the bleeder. I've used DOT 5 in my '39 coupe since 1990 and it's been great, with no rust problems. I replace the fluid every 5 years or so as a precaution against any moisture accumulating over the years. Works for me.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1539