Topic: Generator Problems on '51 Ford

Mr51Ford    -- 12-27-2021 @ 10:43 AM
  The generator is making noise and the car isn't running properly or accelerating properly.

Are there reputable shops in the New York area that can fix the 6-volt generator of a '51 Ford custom deluxe?

nelsb01    -- 12-27-2021 @ 12:08 PM
  this may or may not solve the noise problem, but do you / or have you added a drop of good oil to the oil cap at the back of the generartor?
There are a couple of oil caps that should have a drop of oil added to them at least once a year - generator (rear bearing), distributor shaft.

There are generator and starter shops -- try using our friend GOOGLE and see what it says "Generator and starter repair shops near me"

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-27-2021 @ 3:26 PM
  hi
MAKE sure the generator is making noise, before removing it,
take the generator belt off and start the engine,
noise still there ?
while you have the gen belt off, turn the water pump pulleys, and see if they rock or hard to turn
I used CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTIC in OHIO,, very good people to work with,
old cars are WHAT THEY DO !!!
make sure you the generator is the problem,
hope this helps 37Ragopman

40 Coupe    -- 12-28-2021 @ 5:22 AM
  Also Buckeye Auto Electric in Painesville, OH 800-usa-5561 www.buckeyeautoelectric.com They rebuild for a couple of Model A aftermarket parts suppliers and own old cars. Talk to Joe the owner.

FordFreak    -- 12-28-2021 @ 6:36 AM
  I had my generator rebuilt @ : Northstar Auto Electric Inc.
105Main St.
Macedon, NY 14502
315-986-4451

1937 Ford Coupe
1952 Ford F1 Pickup
1965 Falcon Sprint

Mr51Ford    -- 12-29-2021 @ 6:04 PM
  Thanks guys.

Mr51Ford    -- 09-23-2022 @ 10:51 AM
  I wound up shipping my generator to North Star Auto Electric. After it was shipped back, my local mechanic put it back in, and the car won't hold a charge.
My mechanic wants me to find out if there are any shops in Queens or Long Island that know how to rebuild a 51 Ford generator.

carcrazy    -- 09-23-2022 @ 1:24 PM
  Is your generator putting out any voltage? Have you polarized the generator?
If the generator has not been polarized, it will not be able to charge the battery.
To polarize your internally grounded generator, disconnect the field wire from the regulator and momentarily flash this wire to the regulator battery terminal.
Once you have done this, your newly rebuilt generator should be capable of charging the battery.
Note that generators do not put out any voltage at idle speed, you must rev the engine to 1500 RPM or more to have the generator charge.

Mr51Ford    -- 09-24-2022 @ 10:22 AM
  Thanks. Allegedly the generator was polarized upstate after being rebuit, but it's not working. I'll share this information with my local mechanic. If my local shop follows your instructions, what do they have to do to the voltage regulator afterwards?

TomO    -- 09-24-2022 @ 11:46 AM
  See my reply in this post to determine if the problem is the generator or regulator

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15701&keywords=not%20charging

Tom

supereal    -- 10-04-2022 @ 9:32 AM
  Before you blame the generator for low or no charge, check the voltage regulator for proper grounding. Many rely on a metal ferrule in one of the regulator mounts. They are inserted into one of the mounting holes, and often make poor contact due to paint or dirt between the fire wall and the ferrule, and/or the head of the mounting screw. At one time, each regulator had a ground clamp on the base of the unit, but disappeared in later vehicles. Run a jumper between one of the mounts and a good ground to see if this is a problem. At our shop we find poor or missing grounds produce many problems in older vehicles

Mr51Ford    -- 10-07-2022 @ 5:18 PM
  Thanks. I'll share that information with my mechanic soon.

What state is your shop in?

supereal    -- 10-09-2022 @ 10:30 AM
  We are in Iowa. We operate as a machine shop and general repair facility. My eldest son is the owner. At 67 he is an expert in diagnosing problems. We do appreciate the interest of hobbyists in addition to the steady flow of newer vehicles, and the variety of items that arrive at our door. Last week we rebuilt a dozen engines for a local marina. I am mostly retired now at the tender age of 87, but still can be found at the shop a few days a week.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15384