Topic: scarce ethanol

same    -- 12-26-2021 @ 8:02 AM
  what do you folks think about using 91 octane premium in our flatheads other than a waste of money. seems as though ehtanol free gas is about to go away in our area. i know some of you don't have it anymore all ready. I installed a new Dennis Carpenter carb summer before last so it's probably ethanol safe. but introducing ethanol to an older tank will i assume break loose the junk in tank and rest of system. Tom.

ford38v8    -- 12-26-2021 @ 8:25 AM
  91 will do nothing for you. Use 87, and add “Stabyl Marine” faithfully to protect your tank. I feel that an expiation of why that product is helpful: it provides a barrier between the fuel and the air in the tank, which otherwise would rust the tank. Nothing is perfect, but that’s your best shot.

Alan

same    -- 12-26-2021 @ 10:00 AM

alan,91 octane premium in my area has no ethanol. Iknow flatheads are low compression they dont need 91 octane.

nelsb01    -- 12-26-2021 @ 7:14 PM
  Since there wasn't ethanol in gas when our Fords were built.................

When I travel in my 1949, I go to pure gas and then click on the state that I am traveling through and print out the list.

It will cost more, but less worry about vapor lock and water in the fuel.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

TomO    -- 12-27-2021 @ 9:10 AM
  I have been using gas with Ethanol in it since the late 1990's with no bad effects. I did clean and seal my tank when I restored the car in 1976.

I do use Seafoam in every other tank, when I am not driving the car on a long trip. This helps to keep the plugs clean, preserves the fuel and retards the fuel separation.

If you are talking about your 1937 Ford, the biggest concern that I would have is the fuel sending unit float. In 1937 it was a cork float coated with a sh*llac. The Ethanol will remove the sh*llac and your float will fall to the bottom of the tank. My advice is to remove the sending unit and coat the float with a thin coat of sealant such as Seals All. I would do this even if you intend to use the 91 octane. The varnish may already be compromised by the other additives in the fuel. The fuel today has added detergents to keep the fuel injectors clean and they likely will also affect the varnish in the tank and float.

Tom

kubes40    -- 12-27-2021 @ 9:42 AM
  I'm with TomO once again.

I have never sought out non-ethanol fuels for any of my old Fords. I'd also never had any issues with them. No "vapor lock", no hard starting, no issues...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

same    -- 12-27-2021 @ 1:07 PM

thanks to all for the replies. i'm not sure about the fuel tank as to when it would or was even removed during its life time i was not able to talk to the older gent that had the '37 since 1956 so the only info on the car i have learned from a trapper keeper full of receipts. like iv'e said before iv'e replaced carb,fuel pump rebuilt,spark plugs radiator hoses,brake light switch,seat belts for front seat, new trans ,diff. plugs to 3/8"drive and some other things . need to put new brake cables and adj. clevesis. i assume its ok to use non ethanol 91 octane octane albiet a waste of money but not detrimental to motor? Tom.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15381