Topic: Battery Installed with Terminals Reversed

sarahcecelia    -- 12-24-2021 @ 11:37 AM
  My friend installed a new6 volt battery, in his 1950 ford ,fully charged- with the negative to ground and the positive to the solenoid. He said when he pushed the starter button it just went "click" and nothing happened; I. E. not cranking over of the motor.

He then checked the battery and it was dead! What did that do to the electrical system?

If he recharges the battery and installs it with positive to ground and negative to the solenoid, will it work properly??? Is the solenoid stuck? , or what is wrong?

I never had a problem like this and never heard of one; so I'm in the "DARK" about this !

Regards, Steve Lee

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-24-2021 @ 11:53 AM
  It's a POSITIVE ground system..........................
Paul in CT

juergen    -- 12-24-2021 @ 12:14 PM
  A fully charged car battery can't discharge with just a click. You would have generated a whole lot of heat/smoke/spark. Putting it on backwards would not hurt the system.

If it was fully charged and it is now dead I would expect an open circuit within the battery. Since it is dead it should take a charge. If it doesn't, your battery is dead. If you check and it is still charged, hook it up to the starter terminal and ground with jumper cables and see if it turns the starter. If it does, either the solenoid or the starter switch to ground or the wire are not working properly.

TomO    -- 12-24-2021 @ 12:17 PM
  He will also have to polarize his generator, just to be safe.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 12-24-2021 @ 2:02 PM
  Your kidding me?? It' a positive ground system; Really?? You must be an absolute GENIUS!! I knew that back in 19555 when I was 18 years old!! I'll bet dollars to donuts that the positive terminal's braided cable goes to the cylinder head too!!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 12-24-21 @ 2:05 PM

ford38v8    -- 12-24-2021 @ 9:49 PM
  Steve Lee, every time I read one of your combative posts, I resolve to never read another. I’ll concede that you likely are having fun with it, but unfortunately, your fun is at the expense of others, and I expect that I do keep reading them to see how far you will go with your unkind remarks. Please consider this post as constructive criticism, in the hope that in the future, you may create more smiles than frowns.

Alan

51woodie    -- 12-25-2021 @ 6:27 AM
  Good comment Alan. What puzzles me, is that Steve seems to have put up the original post, then responded to it. Did he bait his own hook?

JayChicago    -- 12-25-2021 @ 8:19 AM
  I think he was responding to 1931 Flamingo’s reply.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15378