Topic: 1937 Shocks

Robert/Texas    -- 07-12-2010 @ 4:00 AM
  My '37 Fordor Touring Sedan has just over 59,000 miles on it and I have some questions.

The shocks are obviously not working. The car drives and handles well on the highway, but takes bumps badly. I have most of the old service records but none indicate they have been replaced or that fluid has ever been added to them. The outside of the shocks appear to be original (rusty but not pitted), show no sign of leakage and the shock arms look good. I want to add fluid but am concerned with compatibility with whatever may be in them. I know that Ford had a part number for this fluid but have no idea what the fluid actually was. All advice will be appreciated.

I seriously doubt that these shocks will work after 72 years and 59,000 miles. I have noted that some vendors carry new front shocks but not the rears. Anyway, I'd prefer to get all four of them rebuilt. As the car is so original, I won't consider tube shocks or any others. Again, all advice will be appreciated.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-12-2010 @ 6:09 AM
  if you look in the V8 TIMES,there a few rebuilders.for the original shocks,
the tube shocks will work but require more work to install,
you can try motorcycle fork oil, comes in various weights, [ THE ORIGINAL OIL MIGHT HAVE BECAME THICKS and will not flow anymore,] I have used in the past with good results,
you can also ajust your original shocks, just check for fluid before doing so,disconnect the links and move the arms up and down till you get resistence,so it is fairly hard to move,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN,,,,,

40 Coupe    -- 07-12-2010 @ 7:41 AM
  many have had problems with several rebuilders. I would recommend Bill Wzorek 413 586-5324. Check the fluid levels, full is near the top. Take the mounting bolts off the body and see if there is any resistance and if they move to their extremes. if they move correctly and there is some fluid try to adjust the tension with the adjuster very small adjustment. if you have problems, give Bill a call before adding fluid.

supereal    -- 07-12-2010 @ 9:12 AM
  Another rebuilder is Apple Hydraulics, 800/882-7753. I'd consider a tube shock conversion, anyway. The lever shocks were not that great when new, and today's hiway speeds require better control. Rebuilding lever shocks takes special tools and skill. Most will not come apart easily, if at all, and trying to refill them with some kind of oil seldom is successful. Apple heats them up, then uses a wrench with a very long handle to break them loose. The original fluid had a glycerine base, and is not available to my knowledge. Some use hydraulic jack oil, available at some parts stores.

Robert/Texas    -- 07-12-2010 @ 2:06 PM
  Thanks 37Ragtopman, 40 coupe and supereal. I'm going to try to adjust the shocks as suggested and fill if needed as soon as I can get over a sprained back. I want to stay with the originals as almost all of the car, including the paint and upholstery is original. As I have six old Fords and none are daily drivers, I seldom put over 500 miles per year on any one of them.

As several people have suggested, I'll get in touch with Bill Wzorek if that is not successful.

This message was edited by Robert/Texas on 7-12-10 @ 2:11 PM

ford38v8    -- 07-12-2010 @ 8:29 PM
  Robert, You are correct in that there were different fluids, which were and are not compatible. Glycerin, Mineral oil, and Castor oil were all used, and none are used today to my knowledge after rebuilding. Hydraulic fluid seems to be the norm today, but mixing any two may give you a batch of cottage cheese.

A proper rebuild is pricey, but for originality as well as roadability, the Houdalie shock is actually better than the tubes, unless you also add sway bars.

Alan

Robert/Texas    -- 07-13-2010 @ 5:29 PM
  Thanks again to everyone. I discovered today that the shocks are dry and the the shafts are a little wobbly. I just spoke to Bill Wzorek and I am sending them to him for rebuilding.

This message was edited by Robert/Texas on 7-19-10 @ 5:53 AM

shogun1940    -- 07-17-2010 @ 5:43 PM
  an excellent artile was published in the past year on houdaille shocks in streetrodder mag. shows how to id ,take them apart

j.grif    -- 07-24-2010 @ 9:53 PM
  I too have the problem of rough bounce over uneven strips in the old road, items in the trunk become airborn. I was wondering if stiff shackles could
cause this jar. Have tube shocks at the back. Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1537