Topic: 39 truck

flatheadman    -- 07-11-2010 @ 7:36 PM
  I have a 1939 Ford truck but I'm not sure if it is a one ton or a 3/4 ton. Ford made both in a 122 inch wheelbase single wheel truck. The serial number starts with BB. It has 17 inch wheels. Any suggestions?

supereal    -- 07-12-2010 @ 9:18 AM
  If it has full floating axles, it could be from either size. If it has an open drive shaft, it is likely from a tonner. Many of the lighter trucks used a torque tube. We had one of those in one of our stock car racers. The full floating axles kept the wheels on at the track, and the high gear ratio allowed us to run in high gear, instead of second, as most did, and the large bolt circle fit our wheels.

ford38v8    -- 07-12-2010 @ 8:38 PM
  Flatheadman, According to James Wagner's book on Ford trucks, the 3/4 Tonner was a late addition to the lineup at Ford in '39 to compete with the offerings of other makes, and was the same as the Tonner but for lighter suspension. Wheel and engine options were available on both, so I'd suggest that perhaps the only sure way to determine yours would be to compare with a known Tonner from '37.

Alan

flatheadman    -- 07-13-2010 @ 7:32 PM
  My 39 has a torque tube drive shaft and it has a really light suspension considering that it has a Garwood hydraulic dump bed.I don't have the original title but I think it was purchased new by the Montana Highway Department from some of the evidence in the glove box. fhm

ford38v8    -- 07-13-2010 @ 9:19 PM
  Flatheadman, I don't know the condition of your truck, but there are very few conversion Ford trucks at any National Meet Concourse. These conversions are just as eligible as any to receive awards in the appropriate category. Most were not made in any appreciable quantity in the first place, and are extremely rare to still survive in any condition today, and are more than welcome on our Concourses. Consider bringing it to a Meet, you won't regret it, I'm sure.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1536