Topic: 35 Ford Center Hood Hinge

Peter in NH    -- 12-17-2021 @ 3:37 AM
  I'm getting ready to paint my 35 Convertible Sedan hood and looking for some advice. Yesterday I carefully removed the hinge from the two
hood halves. It came apart very hard. There was no paint on the two halves that the hinge slide onto. Might that have been the way that area
would have been addressed at the factory? I'm concerned if I apply anything other than a coat of epoxy primer to the two areas I'll never be
able to get the hinge slid back on. It seems to me that Ford didn't make the hinge large enough to accommodate a couple of coats of paint. What have some of the rest of you done about this problem?

Thanks,

Peter

carcrazy    -- 12-17-2021 @ 7:37 AM
  What about just applying some WD-40 lubricant to the hood pin and reinserting it into the hood hinge? The hood/hinge assembly could then be prepped as a unit before painting.

Peter in NH    -- 12-17-2021 @ 8:43 AM
  It's the stainless top hinge I'm referencing that is wicked tight and very difficult to install on the two top halves even
given the fact that there's no paint in this area on both top halves.

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-17-2021 @ 10:19 AM
  Try lubricating it and spinning it in with a deill??
Paul in CT

3w2    -- 12-17-2021 @ 1:41 PM
  Peter,

I'd like to see what happens when you put a center hood hinge molding in a drill chuck (it would be a really big one necessarily) and spun it. Stand back!

In any event, in my experience the area in question joining the two hood TOP panels was originally painted. Further, the ease of installing or removing the hinge molding is heavily dependent on the angle of the two top hood panels. The deeper/narrower the V formed by the two panels side by side usually makes for much easier removal and installation of the hinge molding, which is basically a tw0-person job. Lastly, if per chance the hinge molding is a reproduction (or a bent original), it will be a struggle, no matter what you try. In the case of the former, the thickness of the stainless steel is greater than that of an original molding.

Dave

Peter in NH    -- 12-17-2021 @ 2:59 PM
  My center stainless hinge is an original. Thank you to everyone for your comments.

Peter

flatheadfan    -- 12-17-2021 @ 3:43 PM
  Something I do when I reinstall the hood is to replace the steel rods with 1/4' brass rods typically found at welding shops. It creates a smooth -no rust situation that will quickly match the irregularity or the the hook loops and minimize paint chipping. . .

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 12-18-2021 @ 3:28 PM
  What's a deill??

trjford8    -- 12-18-2021 @ 3:56 PM
  carcrazy, WD-40 would be a big "no no" prior to painting unless you like the "fish eye" look. The center hood strip on a 35 convertible sedan is a stainless channel and not a piece of round stock. You cannot spin it with a drill. The round stock only holds the hood sides to the tops.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15359