Topic: Electric Wiper Motor and Kit for installation

flatfoot    -- 12-13-2021 @ 2:30 PM
  Anyone know where I might find a 6 volt wiper motor and installation kit for my '36 Ford 4dr Touring Sedan? I would rather not cut a hole in my header panel. I want to get one for both sides (two each other words). Thanks to all and May God bless you.

Steve Kennedy    -- 12-13-2021 @ 7:10 PM
  Hope someone has an answer. There is only 4 1/2 inches from the hole for the wiper arm to the brace on its right. I have tried the Mighty Might. It is not might and it might work but doesn't.

I have looked at LOTS of 12 volt wiper motors and they are all too big. Haven't even seen a 6 volt electric motor.

I had my Trico vacuum wiper motor rebuilt and it won't even move. I bought an electric vacuum motor and a small vacuum tank, that didn't work either.

mfirth    -- 12-14-2021 @ 4:42 AM
  Not sure this will help, but, have you looked into a marine, [boat] , 6 v wiper motor ?

51504bat    -- 12-14-2021 @ 6:57 AM
  Maybe a universal one for older Jeeps?

TomO    -- 12-14-2021 @ 8:00 AM
  Before you modify your header to accept an electric motor, try sending yours to :
Clean Sweep Wiper Motor Service
(541) 420-9098

If you have a non-stock camshaft in your engine, the vacuum wiper will work sluggishly. I remove the wiper arms in the Spring and drive my car with the wiperes on and no arms to get the motor ready for when i get caught in the rain.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 12-14-2021 @ 11:06 AM
  C & G Ford Parts offers 4 different electric wiper motors. Two are 6V and two are 12V. They state that some modifications are required for installation.

Grant    -- 12-15-2021 @ 5:09 AM
  Hello flatfoot.

One possible alternative to vacuum and/or electric powered wipers is a hot rodder's manually operated handle.

That's what we've done with our '36 roadster. It works fine except in heavy rain.

No hose or wiring required with this conversion.

Definitely not a concours correct modification, but so far the arrangement has been trouble-free on our vehicle.

Best of the season to you and yours.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-15-2021 @ 9:43 AM
  HI FLATHEAD
did you measure the vacuum [ with a good vacuum gauge ] inside the car, what reading did you get, 16-20 ?
maybe there is a kink or clogged rubber line, or even in the metal tube, or even the intake port ,has a problem ?
maybe a little 3 in 1 oil will help to get it to work
I would not alter the car,
I would send it out to get repaired the correct way like someone else suggested,
it has worked for many years, why change it now,
you can add a vacuum storage tank to help the up hills
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

trjford8    -- 12-15-2021 @ 12:52 PM
  I would rebuild the stock wiper motors and then add some Rain-X to the windshield. Has always worked for me.

MG    -- 12-15-2021 @ 2:35 PM
  'Rain-X' is magic stuff....

coilover    -- 12-16-2021 @ 8:54 AM
  I send my vacuum motor off to Ficken (The Wiper Man) for a rebuild and then use a diesel car/truck electric vacuum pump. A search showed 6v vacuum pumps are available. With the wiper vacuum not engine dependent the wipers work ALL the time and have an infinite number of speeds. The pump can be mounted ANYWHERE in the vehicle and a line run to the vacuum wiper motor.

This message was edited by coilover on 12-16-21 @ 8:58 AM

MG    -- 12-16-2021 @ 9:40 AM
  Good info, coilover....

CaliforniaBorn36    -- 12-18-2021 @ 6:33 PM
  Just noticed while reading another post, that Certified Auto Electric, (https://www.6vto12v.com/), has a 6 volt electric wiper setup. You might reach out to them.

Let us know which way you go.

Curious minds.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15353