Topic: Pressed-On Timing Gear Replacement

39Fordfan    -- 12-10-2021 @ 2:50 PM
  Hello there,

I just wanted to follow-up and let everyone know what happened with my old failed pressed-on Fiber Timing Gear issue. I mostly wanted to help the next guy out, if possible.

The description below from Richard Willim's book on how to replace a pressed on fiber Timing Gear while the engine is still in the car worked like a charm! The car now runs like a champ with a new timing gear in place WITHOUT having to remove the engine! Thanks so much for posting this easy and commonsense repair @carcrazy!

My engine still pulls strong and doesn't smoke much so this was an ideal candidate to attempt this fix on. Besides I didn't think I had too much to lose by trying it.

After taking off the fan-belt, fan, generator, the distributor, and the timing cover (I didn't remove the radiator or the grille) I wound up towing the whole vehicle to a nearby shop who did the timing gear work. Getting the old gear off was a bit of a fight as there is a hidden fin in the camshaft collar that rides up higher into the fiber of the gear and is hidden. But once the fin became known it wasn't too much of a struggle to get it off of the camshaft. Honestly, I could have done the job myself, except I was a bit worried about making sure the timing was exactly as I found it. A lot of care was taken to mark everything on the shaft and gear before tapping on the new gear. I then towed the car home and put it all back together. About the only thing I can add about this part is to make sure you purchase and soak the bottom timing cover grub in oil overnight (I soaked the grub in oil for a week) before sealing the bottom of the timing cover around the camshaft.

The engine started right up and runs better than before. I'm dancing a jig as I really didn't want to pull the engine. I cringe to think of the 1000's of 30's Ford V-8 engines that have been pulled and torn down unnecessarily just to replace this gear.

Thank-you to all who chimed in for your help on this one. And a very special Thanks to @carcrazy and Richard Willim!

This was the post from @carcrazy.

Here is how to change a fiber cam gear with the camshaft in the engine.
This description is from Richard Willim's book, "The V8-60 Ford's Little Powerhouse".
"Changing the gear does not require disassembly of the engine. I have changed gears in as little as an hour. The trick is getting the gear back on, not gettng it off the camshaft.
To remove the gear, drill a 7/32" hole through the gears press fit steel ring. Gingerly drive a tapered punch into the hole. Be sure the punch is not too long. You do not want the punch hitting the block behind the camshaft gear. This procedure will spread the press fit ring enough to release its hold. The gear can then be slid off of the camshaft."
"To reinstall the cam gear, chill the camshaft and heat the gear being cautious not to overheat it and burn the fiber. Line up the timing marks of the gear to the camshaft and also to the crankshaft timing marks. This should be mocked up before the gear is heated. The timing marks of the camshaft will be out of location with the crankshaft at this time. Because of the beveled gear, the camshaft will rotate as the new gear slides into position, This will put the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks in proper line up when the gear is home. With a hammer and block of wood, or some other type of driver, tap the camshaft gear into place. This must be done quickly before the gear cools too much and stops moving."
"The other alternative is to remove both the camshaft and the crankshaft gears. This method requires the removal of the oil pan. Install the camshaft gear first and then install the crankshaft gear. This method allows the crankshaft key to assist in aligning the timing marks as the crankshaft gear is installed. In some cases this is better for alignment than a mark and a line on the camshaft and gear."
I hope that the above explanation will help you to accomplish this task as easily and economically as possible. Please let us know if this works for you. Mr. Willim was of course working on a Ford V8-60 engine but the process should be similar.

This message was edited by 39Fordfan on 12-10-21 @ 3:10 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15346