Topic: Wood in a 1939 convertible coupe

shumburg    -- 12-08-2021 @ 7:03 PM
  I'm putting together my dad's 1939 convertible coupe that has been apart since I was in elementary school (60 years ago). Most of the wood that goes behind the seat is missing or disintegrated so bad that I can't figure out where it went. Does anyone have photos of what it's suppose to look like to support the upholstery panels and spare tire? Even better would be some patterns.
Thanks for any help you can lend.
Steve

v8er    -- 12-09-2021 @ 9:38 AM
  Call Ricky Hite at Classic Wood in Greensboro, NC. 336-691-1344.

shumburg    -- 12-10-2021 @ 7:48 PM
  Thanks for the lead. I'll give him a call.

shumburg    -- 12-15-2021 @ 8:49 AM
  Thanks anyway, but he said he couldn't help me with this...

trjford8    -- 12-15-2021 @ 12:50 PM
  Try Brad Brown's Wood Shop in the Seattle area. Ph# 360-317-5723

coilover    -- 12-16-2021 @ 2:23 PM
  Can't find pics but there should be brackets at the bottom of the back of the door openings that a 1 x 8 (?) on edge bolts to that is a cross brace for the pillars and floor pan. The board has a notch that fits snugly down over the torque tube tunnel in the floor pan. I think the original was Ash but any strong wood would work.

wmsteed    -- 12-18-2021 @ 11:42 AM
  My info on your '39 conv question might not be much help to you, in any case I throw it out there.
I have a 39 Plym RS conv cpe that has a Briggs Body which is the same body builder as the majority of the Ford conv cpe's.
I did a complete off the chassis restoration of my conv and was very pleased to find very little wood in the body, which is contrary to the construction of the earlier open cars.
The only wood in my car was a piece of 3/4" about 18" long attached to the rear door jamb used to secure the fasteners for the drop curtion behind the seat, there was a curved 1-1/4" by about 12" wood piece that attached to the top frame at the 'B' pillar two secure the rear window seal.
The header panel for the top was made out of laminated oak, 3/4" thick that was finger jointed together at the center.
The seat and frames for my car were made entirely out of metal as was the rumble seat.
I ordered a new top header panel from a shop in the Seattle area, the panel was not laminated like mine, it was a solid piece of oak, which was already warped and would not correctly fit the windshield header. I sent it back, had a cabinet shop that specialized in marine cabinets make me a new header panel. I ended up having two more panels made for a couple more 39 Convt' that I got involved with restoring.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

shumburg    -- 12-20-2021 @ 6:37 AM
  Thanks, I'll give them a call.
Here are pictures of what I have. The 2 large pieced fit on a metal flange on the door pillar and I suspect there's suppose to be a piece of wood that screws into them that goes across the car body (no idea of what it should look like. The long piece apparently stretches back on the passenger side and I'd imagine there should be something similar on the drivers side (but may be different due to the spare tire (which I'm also not clear on where it goes). The small dark piece has some fabric and tacks in it with about a 1" groove in it...no idea. Anyway, this is all I've got. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

This message was edited by shumburg on 12-22-21 @ 2:17 PM

shumburg    -- 12-22-2021 @ 2:20 PM
  Thanks for the advice. The original header for the top I have should work well as a pattern. I suspect there should be something going over the torque tube also.

wmsteed    -- 12-23-2021 @ 8:54 AM
  Wow! I had no idea there was that much difference between a Briggs bodied Ford and Plym 39 conv cpe. It would appear that the amount of wood used in the Ford vs the Plym firms up the theory that the Ford was built to a budget, where-as the Plym was built to design.
We all know, or should know that H. Ford was thrifty to a fault, where-as Walter P. was a true engineer that surrounded himself with like minded people.
Chrysler used the same basic body sh*ll, fenders, doors, etc., 1937-39 with minor cleaver tricks such as grille, bumpers and trim to impart the feeling of a new design to the buying public.
The V'd windshield on the 39 models increased the passenger compartment 9" will using the same basic body platform.
Not trying to start a war between Ford/ Chrysler lovers, just pointing out some of the anomalies of the early auto industry.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

shumburg    -- 12-30-2021 @ 5:40 PM
  Brad's Wood Shop has what I need. He sent me pictures and a catalog. Thanks for the tip!

trjford8    -- 01-01-2022 @ 7:24 AM
  You are welcome, glad I could help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15339