Topic: New Edelbrock manifold for 59A

ole_Bill    -- 07-11-2010 @ 6:09 AM
  I purchased an Edelbrock Super 11001 2-pot intake for my street rod. It has no bracket at the front of the manifold for the generator mount. Instead, it came with an offset bracket but with no instructions on how it should be mounted. I understand the need to offset the gen to clear the carb, but where/how does the bracket bolt up? Pic attached

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-11-2010 @ 7:45 AM
  I think the bracket has holes in it that line up with the head studs,
I have never have done this,
they made the 2 2's manifold that you could use the original generator and not move it to the side, [ the carbs were mounted closer together,]
I have a original SHARP intake manifold., it is on a counter and I look at it,maybe some day,
once you start this hop up, its takes a lot things to make it work right,
check and see if I am right,you will probably need to replace the 3 head studs with longer ones, be careful not to break any removing them,
good luck, lets hear how you made out,
37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!!!!!!

Stroker    -- 07-11-2010 @ 9:11 AM
  The Edelbrock "Super" is one of the best manifolds in terms of efficiency ever made for a flathead.
The downside, as you have discovered, is that it was primarily designed as a no-compromise performance part. The carbs are spaced apart to give a more direct path from the carb throats to the intake ports, plus there is adequate space between them to make Stromberg jetting changes without having to pull the carbs. 37' is spot-on regarding the need for 3-longer head studs, and you will also have to fore-go any generator-mounted fan applications. The manifold was really designed for
racing applications, which often used a magneto in place of the battery ignition, wherein the generator would just be an unnecessary parasitic drag on the engine.

TomO    -- 07-12-2010 @ 7:49 AM
  That is a cylinder head generator mount. It allows you to mount the generator on the cylinder head. You will have to install longer studs to use it and buy a fan bracket if you intend to use a stock fan.

Here is a link to a site where you can purchase the parts.

http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/shopnow/show_dept.asp?dept_id=77&filter=&filterkey=&first=10

Tom

Stroker    -- 07-12-2010 @ 3:19 PM
  Ole:

You've stated that your application is a Street Rod. Given the fact that the Edelbrock "Super" has no provision for a generator or fan, since it is actually a competition manifold, you will be able to
run a generator, or alternator using the provided cylinder head bracket. You will not, however be able to use a fan, since there is no provision on the front of the manifold for any type of bracket.
If you feel you need a fan,(we often ran without them in So-Cal in the Fifties), you can always install an after market electric unit. I'd be interested to know a little more about the "street rod", as that would help in suggesting appropriate pieces.

Stroker

Stroker    -- 07-13-2010 @ 4:34 PM
  Ole:

I was laying down last night in preparation of some "Z's", and I remembered that IF, your "street-rod" is a 39 Deluxe, or 40 Standard or Deluxe, your fan issues are non-existant, as your fan resides on the crankshaft. Prolly not relevant, but I thought I'd put that in before some 40's guy drags me over the coals.

Stroker

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1533