Topic: Use of wheel rim liners

BRL    -- 11-29-2021 @ 9:13 AM
  Hi:
So I am about to order some new tires and tubes for my 37 Phaeton which has the OEM steel wheels (wide fives). I plan on ordering the Firestone bias ply whitewalls (16.00-6) and tubes. I see that my glovebox reference book for 1937 has the following statement:

"Do not use boots in the tires as they destroy their balance and are a constant menace to your safety, particularly at high speed."

Is the book referring to wheel rim liners when they say "boots"? Please advise whether I should be using liners or not. I have never dealt with such old and skinny design tires for a car, so if there are any little gotchas concerning ordering and mounting these tires and tubes please advise.

Regards,
BRL

therunwaybehind    -- 11-29-2021 @ 11:12 AM
  Boots are a kind of oversize patch for major rips in the sidewall and down into the tread area. Some were big enough for a blowout. They had heavy fabric reinforcement and would "thump" when driving with them permanently installed. In WW-II rubber was hard to get and anything that would roll was repaired. The one I have seen was L-shaped and about 4x 6 inches.

TomO    -- 11-30-2021 @ 8:19 AM
  Boots were common in the early years of tires (1910 - 1947). Before WWII tires were expensive and prone to blowouts. The boot was used to repair a blowout and keep the inner tube from abrasion from the road. As the previous post suggests, they did make a thumping noise and did afect the balance of the tire and wheel. It was not much of a problem due to the speeds that car were driven in those days. WWII speed limits were 35mph maximum on all roads.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-30-2021 @ 8:31 AM

COKER has heavy duty tubes, that they use in RADIAL tires, no rim liners,
I installed them in FIRESTONE 600-16 Tires,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

cub 45    -- 12-01-2021 @ 7:15 AM
  What i think by liner they mean to me a rim strip that covers the rivets in the rim center so as not to wear on the tube.

kurt

wmsteed    -- 12-01-2021 @ 10:52 AM
  Wheel liners are/were generally used on spoked wheels or tube type split rims. The rivet heads on wheels that have rivets are generally ground smooth to the rim surface therefore a wheel liner is not needed.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

BRL    -- 12-02-2021 @ 8:33 AM
  Thanks to all for the clarification of "boots" and use of "rim strips/liners". I guess I dont need the rim strips in my case as my wheels are not spoked or split type.
Regards,
BRL

wmsteed    -- 12-02-2021 @ 11:11 AM
  Regarding wheel/rim liners. Split rims which are not encountered much anymore did require a wheel liner to protect the tube from abrasion and eventual punctures by the rim half's, I use to have a company that had many trucks that had split rims, we found out the hard-way that we could not reuse old liners when new tires and tubes were installed. The liners would get brittle with age which would cut into the new tubes causing flat tires.
Of course tubeless tires and one piece wheels solved the whole problem.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

therunwaybehind    -- 12-03-2021 @ 10:34 AM
  Fords of the Model A and early V-8 vintage used "welded Spoke " wheels to avoid loose spokes and the general nuisance of wire wheel maintenance so cherished by Classic car and pre-70's mag wheel era sports cars. Similarly, most wheel chairs now use carbon fiber spokes both for lightness and for low maintenance.

DanD32    -- 12-03-2021 @ 5:22 PM
  For what it's worth on my spoke wheels I used 4 wraps of 1 1/2 3m electrical tape (the good stuff) instead of A rim liner I have no problems what so ever.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15322