Topic: How are 36 Ford windshield components assembled?

Buchananr    -- 11-23-2021 @ 6:09 AM
  Hoping someone can help. Trying to figue out how the windshield components are assembled on a 36 Ford 5 window coupe. I have the windshield, the steel frame, a chrome frame, and rubber seal. How many seals should there be and where/how are they installed? WOuld appreciate instructions on putting this all together and installing on the car. Thanks very much.

nelsb01    -- 11-23-2021 @ 1:30 PM
  I am going to be talking about a 1936 Ford pickup windshield frame -- but the principals are the same.
First, I presume that you have two pieces -- a top and a bottom. Now, do you have the metal pieces that are used to hold the top half and the bottom half together? They are solid metal pieces that fit into the slots where the top and bottom come together on the sides. You will notice 2 holes in the top and 2 holes in bottom of each frame -- this is where the oval headed slot screws go to attach top and bottom together. The metal piece is tapped to accept the sloted screws.
The metal pieces are not that hard to make if you dont have them -- they are what rusts and causes the screws to strip and break when disassembling the frame.
Before you screw the top and bottom together, it is a great time to clean up the channel on the edge of the frames. This is where the new windshield gasket will slide into. Check carefully at the lower end edges -- this is where the frames rust out frequently.

The windshield frame gasket slides in the outter slot in the frame. In case your directions dont mention it, the end of the frame gasket should meet in the middle of the bottom frame.

That is really a quick review of the windshield frame. Of course there is the glass and the glass setting gasket. That gasket is still available from most reproduction glass companys. And a word of caution: make sure your glass is the correct size. You dont want to be tapping with a rubber hammer to get the top and bottom frames together. Many a new windshield glass has been purchased because of that. (another hint: once the glass is installed, the frame now becomes a lot heavier to work with)

The last step will be to install the two stainless covers -- they cover where the top and bottom frames come together.

You didnt mention that you needed information on attaching the frame to the vehicle. That is a four person job.

Hope this helps --- others will probably add more. Good luck and take your time.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 11-23-21 @ 1:31 PM

Buchananr    -- 11-23-2021 @ 1:59 PM
  Thanks very much for the details. I'll study them and take a look at everything tomorrow. Would it be okay to send you some pics also?

Steve Kennedy    -- 11-23-2021 @ 6:34 PM
  Only change I would suggest is that, once very thing was clean, including the two joining pieces with the screws in them, I make sure the glass fit loosely inside the clean frame, then I took it to a glass shop and had them use their black window calking to make sure it did not have any leaks and sealed really good. I tried the window channel gasket stuff and it was a tighter fit than I wanted to hammer on.

3w2    -- 11-24-2021 @ 2:23 AM
  "Glass setting tape", the name of the material used around the perimeter of the glass to seal the glass in the inner channel of the frame comes in a variety of thicknesses and is available online and from all glass shops.

Buchananr    -- 11-24-2021 @ 5:35 AM
  OK Understand, I have that. Thanks very much

Buchananr    -- 11-28-2021 @ 3:40 PM
  Finally had a chance to upload some pictures. First picture shows the two "frame assemblies". The top one is a chrome asembly and has a rubber seal and the windshield mounted into it. The bottom one is a painted steel frame (with substantial rust on the bottom).
1. Are these the "inner and outer" assemblies?
2. Does the chrome assembly go on the outside and the steel assembly go on the inside of the car, and the two assemblies are then attached to each other?
3. If so, how are they attached to the car?
4. How are they joined together?
5. Is there a seal or weatherstripping that goes on the inner assembly.
Have also included a picture of the car before starting the rebuild, and yes, I know I should have done a better job of detailing the removal of the windshield. Sorry. Appreciate everyones time and advice.

flatfoot    -- 12-02-2021 @ 2:30 PM
  I also would use silicone spray and popsicle sticks. I did my '36 Sedan front widow and once I learned about this it was easy. Yes use a glass insulator before installing the glass.

dragnil@sbcglobal.net    -- 12-04-2021 @ 11:12 AM
  Hello my name is Roy Lingard I just had my windshield replaced.
THE frame is in two peace's ,there are 8 screws that hold it together 4 on each end,
the rubber seal fits around the frame in a grove provided on the outside rem,
there is only one seal.
If you need more help E mail me at dragnil@sbcglobal.net

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15310