Topic: taillight on a '39 coupe

cdeac47    -- 11-15-2021 @ 12:49 PM
  I want to drive my coupe on the street but I am greatly bothered by the single taillight on the left fender. The right rear fender has already been painted and to replace it or bore out a hole for an additional taillight in the fender is not something I want to do. Are there some popular options out there?

kirkstad    -- 11-15-2021 @ 1:24 PM
  I had a 35 standard coupe years ago. I mounted after market, but nice looking, lights on the left and right bumper brackets. At the time I couldn't find a bracket for the right side and I also wanted turn signals. With the 39 lights mounted right on the fender, if you can find someone to do it for you, it shouldn't be a problem mounting one on the right side. Back in 39 many states required two tail lights standard or not.
Frank

marko39    -- 11-15-2021 @ 2:01 PM
  You could get a fender from a deluxe and it would have a tail light . I know it would be a lot of work but it would be the best remedy . I see a lot of standards with 2 tail lights .

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-15-2021 @ 2:24 PM

You could take it to a body repair shop,
or do it yourself,
you would have to take the left light off and measure real carefull and cut the hole to mount the right side light, and use a cross over wiring loom
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

carcrazy    -- 11-15-2021 @ 2:27 PM
  It shouldn't be too tough to mount a tail light on the 1939 Standard right rear fender without hurting the paint. Make sure you measure exactly where you want the light to be and use a tape which won't adhere to the paint well enough to pull it off.

ford38v8    -- 11-15-2021 @ 8:31 PM
  I feel your reluctance to cut into your finished fender. Others have reassured you that it was not only done back in the day in certain States by law, but is also done today on many cars, both drivers and show cars, with no or little objection from purists. That said, you do also have a reasonable option to use vintage lights made to bolt on your bumper. They are hard to find, but they are out there and would provide a one-off appearance, with the bonus of better visibility to drivers behind you at night. I doubt that this issue has ever happened on the V8 Club Concourse, but being an actual safety item, and if done in good taste with vintage lights, the installation should not draw a point deduction. This in itself would make your car something of a celebrity!

Alan

JayChicago    -- 11-16-2021 @ 10:02 AM
  In the mean time:
Harbor Freight sells a small triangle LED portable warning light that fits over a bumper perfectly. A hook and a magnet hold it on. Is a very bright LED light, brighter than any of our old tail lights., maybe brighter than some modern tail lights. Costs under $5. Is LED so battery lasts forever.

fordv8j    -- 11-16-2021 @ 3:12 PM
  Our 38 conv. coupe had a standard right rear fender, I thought I'd just out a tail light in it, checked it out, they are quite different, more rounded, no flat place for a light, lucky my friend had an extra deluxe fender, i could have

cdeac47    -- 11-17-2021 @ 7:19 AM
  Thanks guys. I will look into those options!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15299