Topic: 1946 Ford Questions - New Member Post

scooterb84    -- 11-15-2021 @ 10:53 AM
  Hello,
New member here, really love all the info on the forum. Our 46' has brought us some amazing memories, its a really great cruiser. Its done really well at shows and all the vets really have shared some amazing memories about this car over the years. I'm considered the young buck to even own one of these (42 years old), and get told that a lot at the shows so pardon my ignorance with my questions below. Hoping to get some assistance on a couple things.

Car Details:
46' Ford Business Coupe
51' Flathead V8

First issue is make/model identification for my car. I've had my 46' for 7 years now and I think the biggest hurdle has been terminology for the model I have. I was told when I purchased that it was known as a Business Coupe, but a lot of sites don't identify as that. Most say Deluxe, Super Deluxe.. etc. From the research I have done, I seem to have a 1946 Ford Coupe Six? Can anyone help me properly identify as such, or am I correct calling it a business coupe. I've attached a couple images of my baby for reference!

Second issue, I am sad to say that I recently had a mishap occur when installing a rear bench in the back of my 46', which caused the quarter window to crack. Due to my model identification issue, its been hard tracking down a replacement. Does anyone know where I can find the official part number for that glass replacement so I can easily search out a replacement? Picture of said window attached. Any recommendations based on experience where I can purchase a good quality replacement?

Again, really appreciate everyone's time!

This message was edited by scooterb84 on 11-15-21 @ 10:54 AM

carcrazy    -- 11-15-2021 @ 1:03 PM
  From what I am able to discern from your photos, it looks like you have a 1946 Ford Deluxe Coupe. Your model is often referred to as 3-passenger or business coupe. Your car is designated as a Model 77A. You have the non-opening quarter windows. Sorry, I do not know the part number for the glass window you need. Someone else on this website may be able to provide that information. BTW your car has 1941 Ford Passenger Car tail lights.

Kens 36    -- 11-15-2021 @ 1:10 PM
  Welcome! You have a very attractive car.

First things first. In 1946 your car was designated by Ford as a "Coupe." There was no designation as business coupe.

More questions here than answers. You mention that you believe the car to be a Deluxe rather than Super Deluxe. The appearance of your car tends to look more like Super Deluxe. The Deluxe had rubber moldings around windows, a horn button - not a ring, one armrest and one sun visor, both on the driver's side. Many things could have changed in 75 years, so the original look of the car may be hard to find.

Also, you mention a 6-cylinder. What leads you to believe that? Since you now have a 1951 V-8, many things could have changed. The real key is the serial number, which is found on the top of the frame on the driver's side. Six cylinder numbers would be in the range of 227524 to 326417. V-8 serial numbers would be in the range 650280-1412707.

One of the best resources you can have to research your car is the 1941-1948 Ford Book produced by the Early Ford V-8 Club. You can buy it on this site at https://shop.efv8.org/collections/ford-books/products/1941-1948-ford-book-softbound.

I don't have a particular source for your window glass, but many folks have a local auto glass company cut one by using the existing glass as a template. Sanders Auto Glass in Washington state is a good source for authentic Ford glass, but at a higher price.

Again, welcome. I wish you the best of luck in researching your car.

Ken

carcrazy    -- 11-15-2021 @ 1:19 PM
  My reason for believing that your car is a Deluxe is that the front vent windows do not have crank handles to open them as they would on a 1946 Super Deluxe.

scooterb84    -- 11-15-2021 @ 1:28 PM
  Thanks CarCrazy for the information, very helpful.

Thanks Kens36! Appreciate the kind words and your detailed response. As far as the V6, that was in regards to the body details I found on a site as it originally had a V6 to my understanding, the V8 flathead was swapped as a replacement prior to me purchasing. I've found its very hard to piece all this together if you aren't the original person doing the work. I was fortunate enough to be the second owner to this car and they had done most of the work prior to me purchasing. Ill be sure to check the serial number and reference that to your post and see if that helps in any way, hopeful it will be. Ill be sure to snag that book, I'm sure it will be a necessity as I get further along in my research! I checked Sanders and it does appear they have glass for my car, just need to verify the dimensions they have listed! Again, thanks for the all excellent info!

woodiewagon46    -- 11-15-2021 @ 3:30 PM
  Your rear quarter windows are flat, so any good glass shop can supply the piece you want. If you need the "Bugs" they are available from Third Generation Auto.

scooterb84    -- 11-16-2021 @ 11:17 AM
  Thanks for the information woodiewagon46!

therunwaybehind    -- 11-16-2021 @ 1:29 PM
  My father bought a 1957 Ford with an inline six cylinder by trading in a 1953 Ford with a V-8. The secretary typing up the title tried to refer to it as a V-6 and the salesman came in and told her that was not correct. She had to make up a new form. Sorry, no V-6's for a while. You can look up the exact date like this. " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_engines#6_cylinder"

trjford8    -- 11-17-2021 @ 5:18 PM
  Another way to date your car is to see if it has the tool tray in the trunk. The early 46's had the tool tray in the trunk with the plywood covers like the '41.

51woodie    -- 11-19-2021 @ 3:38 AM
  scooter. It is possible that your car is an early '46, because of the '41 tail lights.. The car is very nice, but there are a lot of non original features. I suggest that you purchase the 1941-48 EFV8 book, as it is a good resource for research. On a second look at your photos, your car has 1947-48 parking lights as documented on page 2-14 of the EFV8 book.

This message was edited by 51woodie on 11-19-21 @ 3:42 AM

scooterb84    -- 11-29-2021 @ 11:11 AM
  Thanks everyone for the replies and help. I was able to source really good glass from classicflatglass.com, Nick was very helpful and the glass was 100% match for my car, got it installed over the weekend. Highly recommend. My baby is back on the road! Now I just need to find a good bug option as most people I called do not have a bug for the 46. I may just do the Third Generation Auto option.

woodiewagon46    -- 11-29-2021 @ 3:26 PM
  You will not regret in using Third Generation for the "Bugs". I needed to replace two pieces of glass on my '46 station wagon and the "Bugs" from Third Generation came out perfect. I was a little apprehensive at first and could picture really messing my glass up with the etching solution but as I stated they came out as good as the original Ford pieces.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15298