Topic: Oil smoke?

silverchief    -- 11-09-2021 @ 11:46 AM

My 46 coupe with stock 49 engine has never shown the slightest oil smoke from either one of the dual pipes.

From a recommendation on this forum, about a week ago I switched from 10/30 synthetic oil to Valvoline 20-50 VR1 racing oil as being much less prone to leaks.

Now, at idle, I see smoke from one or the other pipes but never from both.

What has happened?

JayChicago    -- 11-09-2021 @ 11:58 AM
  Just a thought:
We are into cold weather now, and I see you are in Denver where it does get cold. Could it be exhaust water vapor condensing out in cold exhaust pipes?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-09-2021 @ 12:25 PM
  silverchief
I have heard, synthetic oil will not smoke out the tailpipes.
how many miles on the engine, did it use any oil synthetic oil ?
the engine will not break in if it is rebuilt, with synthetic oil
more information might help
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

silverchief    -- 11-09-2021 @ 3:57 PM
  I have owned the car about 25 years.

The engine can honestly be described as excellent. Has never burned a drop of oil between annual changes. Idles quiet and smooth, and pulls strong in all gears.

The car was subject to a nicely done amateur restoration about 3 years before I bought it. The speedometer shows 34,000 miles which I suspect is the mileage accrued since the engine was rebuilt.

This message was edited by silverchief on 11-9-21 @ 3:59 PM

alanwoodieman    -- 11-09-2021 @ 4:09 PM
  drive it like you did before and continue to check the oil and check to see if it is burning oil more or leaking less. how much did it leak before?

ford38v8    -- 11-09-2021 @ 11:44 PM
  First, determine the cause of the smoke. Is it oil, a rich fuel mixture, or is it water vapor? Oil will show as white smoke, and does not dissipate. Water vapor also appears white, but rapidly dissipates. A rich fuel mixture will show a black smoke.

Alan

JayChicago    -- 11-10-2021 @ 7:39 AM
  And doesn’t oil smoke usually have some blue color in the smoke?

silverchief    -- 11-10-2021 @ 10:22 AM
  Chilly this morning so I started my coupe and let it warm up. Light wisps of principally white smoke was coming from both pipes. Also noticed water droplets ar the edge of both tail pipe extensions.

Went for about a five mile drive, which included a long moderate hill that allowed me to hold it in second for higher rpms.

Returning home, I pulled up to my garage, and upon inspection discovered smoke is gone.... as are water droplets.

Guess I worry too much (like most of us.)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15275