Topic: Radiator overflow tank

MittieLee1935    -- 11-06-2021 @ 6:51 AM
  My 35 Ford runs fairly cool but every other drive I have to fill the radiator about 2 quarts of coolant before hitting the road. I have the original non pressure radiator cap and the fluid is not going in the oil. My radiator has no leaks but near the overflow tube there is fluid present. Would a stainless tube overflow canister solve my problem? I understand a 4 or less pressure cap would probably not be a option as the cool hot guage just registers around the half way mark.

TomO    -- 11-06-2021 @ 8:32 AM
  What type of coolant are you using? The Prestone type of antifreeze has a tendency to foam in a non-pressurized system. The Sierra type is less likely to foam.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 11-06-2021 @ 9:16 AM
  How much coolant are you putting in the radiator when you top it off? For best results and to stop the loss of coolant, keep the coolant level no higher than one inch above the core of the radiator. If you fill it higher than that, coolant will be pushed out as the engine warms up to operating temperature.

MittieLee1935    -- 11-06-2021 @ 4:51 PM
  Yes I am using Prestone already mixed 50/50

MittieLee1935    -- 11-06-2021 @ 4:52 PM
  I just fill to where it just covers top of coils

TomO    -- 11-07-2021 @ 7:56 AM
  I just re-read your post and realized that I did not answer your question about the recovery tank.

I doubt that it will solve your problem. Coolant recovery systems depend on a sealed system where the coolant fills the radiator up to the overflow. The hot coolant is forced out of the overflow and then when the coolant in the radiator cools down a slight vacuum is formed and the coolant is sucked back into the radiator. If there is an air source other than the coolant recovery bottle, the air will come from that and the coolant will remain in the recovery bottle.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 11-07-2021 @ 10:01 AM
  The EV8F radiators are not designed for pressure. IE; The fill neck does not have a feature for a pressure cap to seat onto
As I recall Skip Heney in Florida makes a valve that attaches to the overflow pipe, which converts the radiator to a pressurized system without any modifications to the radiator fill neck.
I make my overflow tanks out of a 2" ABS black plastic pipe at least 1'0 long. I cement a 2" cap on one end, drill a hole in the center of the cap to which I thread in a 1/4" barbed 90 degree fitting, I then drill a hole 2" plus below the top part of the 2" pipe, thread in a 1/4"barbed 90 degree fitting. I uses a 2" cap on the open end of the ABS pipe, that I leave loose for removal to fill and/or check the coolant level.
I use clear tubing connected to the overflow tube connected to the bottom of the overflow tank. I then connect clear tubing from the upper 1/4" fitting, extending the overflow tubing down below the ABS tank..
I make straps out of Plumber Tape and attache the tank in a convenient location.
I can check the coolant level by looking at the clear tubing from the radiator to the overflow tank. if the tube does not have coolant in it the tank is low, full tube, air has been purged from the system..
Total cost of the overflow tank system is under $20.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 11-7-21 @ 10:15 AM

MittieLee1935    -- 11-17-2021 @ 9:38 PM
  Good information! Thanks so much!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15270