Topic: 48 Super Deluxe VIN hunt

superdeluxe48    -- 11-03-2021 @ 12:51 AM
  Hi there - New here so hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking for assistance locating the VIN on a newly acquired 1948 Ford Super Deluxe 4 Door 8 Cyl, pics attached.
Is there any other locations it may be located? Not able to decipher.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

This message was edited by superdeluxe48 on 11-3-21 @ 1:43 AM

42wagon    -- 11-03-2021 @ 3:28 AM
  Your vin number is the engine serial number. It will be found on the top of the transmission case (if your transmission has never been changed) and at three places along the left frame rail. Two are under the body so forget them. The other should be somewhere between the front crossmember and the firewall.

Be very careful looking for the number. If it was stamped lightly or the frame has heavy rust, crud or paint it can easily by obliterated.

superdeluxe48    -- 11-03-2021 @ 3:47 AM
  Very little rust - and - if I may ask - when you say "left frame rail" - is that left facing vehicle?- or as in drivers seat perspective left? Wish I had a diagram for the areas your speaking of. And thank you so very much for responding.

42wagon    -- 11-03-2021 @ 4:12 AM
  Left frame rail is driver's side.

Incidentally the plate you are looking at in your photos is a patent plate. The patent numbers on it mean nothing to us but Henry felt they were important enough to put that plate on every vehicle from 28 to at least 48. I believe that little box on your plate should have a code for the assembly plant. A feature of 48 only.

BTW you are not breaking any rules. This site is intended for asking questions.

Good Luck!

woodiewagon46    -- 11-03-2021 @ 12:19 PM
  As '42 Wagon points out, probably the easiest number to access is on the drivers side frame rail, near the front crossmember. Sometimes you might need a wire brush to bring out the numbers. Also, sometimes the numbers were stamped very "shallow" and might not be legible.

carcrazy    -- 11-03-2021 @ 1:35 PM
  What I have found to work well to make the VIN easy to read is to wipe the area first with kerosene to clean it off and then, if the numbers are still not visible enough to read, wipe the paint off with lacquer thinner. Stay away from mechanical items like wire brushes or putty knives as you might scratch the frame rail surface and make the numbers more difficult to discern.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15261