Topic: Followup to Speedo Cable Issue

Dream38v8    -- 11-01-2021 @ 7:33 AM
  TomOand 37RAGTOPMAN, I removed the speedometer. Checkout the attached picture. I do not see any place to lubricate the speedometer. I have two questions; 1) which direction does the cable turn at the speedometer head? Clockwise or counterclockwise? 2) How hard should it be to turn with a square drive? Using a square drive and pliers it was extremely tight.

Thanks

Ray

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-01-2021 @ 8:18 AM
  Dream 38V8
The speedometer turns counter clockwise, it the direction of the needle
use a light oil or WD 40 should free it up, let it trickle down were you attach the cable,
you can let it sit overnight,
do not use a drill till it frees up,
I would do it by hand turning , you can go back and forth,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

Dream38v8    -- 11-01-2021 @ 2:42 PM
  Thanks 37. I lubed the speedometer as you indicated. How freely should the cable now turn? After letting it sit I was able to turn the cable by hand with little resistance.

Thanks again!

Ray

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-01-2021 @ 4:13 PM
  Hi Dream 38V8
maybe you could use the old cable with the square end in a slow drill [shortand it ] and see how the speedometer works,
it should have a little resistance
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

Dream38v8    -- 11-02-2021 @ 12:27 PM
  Thanks 37. The speedometer sounds very freely by hand. So now I need to order another cable.

Thanks again

Ray

TomO    -- 11-02-2021 @ 2:43 PM
  If the speedometer turns freely by hand, the problem may be in the sheath. Remove the transmission end of the sheath and insert a good part of your broken cable from that end to see if it binds. If you cannot find a good part to insert, get a universal cable from the auto parts store and use it.

Post a photo of the top of the speedometer and if there is an oiling wick, I will point it out to you. Some speedometers did not have the oiling wick.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-03-2021 @ 7:20 AM
  hi dream V8 38
I would replace the whole cable, innner and outer,
the old outer may have a build up inside, rust, crud, broken parts ?
on the new one hang up and use graphite oil so it get soaked in overnight
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman

Dream38v8    -- 11-03-2021 @ 9:01 AM
  TomO,when I replaced the cable I also replaced the housing. I've attached pictures of the speedometer from the front and back. I could not locate any place for lubrication. A new cable and housing was ordered from Dennis Carpenter yesterday.

Tom and 37 thanks for all your advise.

Ray

TomO    -- 11-04-2021 @ 8:48 AM
  Ray, I agree with you, there does not seem to be an oil wick on your speedometer.

Maybe someone will be able to post the routing of the cable on a 1937 Ford, so you can see how to route yours. I don't believe that there should be a 90 degree turn of the cable. The frame on my Mercury is completely different from your Ford, but the cable goes from the transmission to the outside of the frame rail where it is clamped to the frame at an angle to turn it toward the firewall.

Do not use WD40 as a lubricant, it does not have any lubricating properties. Use a light oil such as 3inone or MMO lubricating oil.

The Dennis Carpenter cable will be too long and you will have to find space to take up the extra length without kinking the cable. I don't know vendor that carries the correct length cable for your car. Again, it would help if a 37 owner could provide the routing for the cable.

Tom

Dream38v8    -- 11-04-2021 @ 1:39 PM
  Thanks Tom. I've only been able to locate 70" cables and sheathing. I was able to route the last cable successfully. The new DC cable is scheduled for delivery Monday. I will install but not connect it to the speedometer initially. My idea is to take the car for a short spin and see if the cable also spins prior to connecting it to the speedometer.

Thanks,

Ray

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-05-2021 @ 6:52 AM
  Hi Dream38V8
I did a reserch on SNYDERS,, FORD PARTS,
they have a 61 1/2 inch, long cable , it has the same sizes on both ends as a 38 FORD,
the part number is A-17260-BTR
Hope this helps 37Ragtopman

Dream38v8    -- 11-13-2021 @ 5:54 AM
  Thanks to all. I finally had time to work on my '38. I installed the new 70" cable and did not connect it to the speedometer. The cable worked (spun) during my test drive. Next I connected it to the speedometer and went for another test drive. I used a GPS phone app to compare the speedometer to the app. The speedometer speed was a little slower compared to the app. Last summer the speedo needle came off. When I reinstalled the needle it was a fraction below 0 (zero). I believe the speed registering slower is from my error installing the needle. I may remove the speedometer and get it rebuilt over the winter. Any recommendations?

Again, thanks to this great forum for your assistance.

Ray

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15256