Topic: Original colors of my V8's? Help for restoration

Bersuit    -- 10-28-2021 @ 5:45 PM
  Hi all,

My name is Martin, Im from Argentina, and I have 2 Fords V8 that were from my dad. I want to restore them and I'm looking to find out the original color combination of them. Is there a database where I can search?

I owe 1935 Ford 5-window Coupe, painted in some cream color, with red wheels and brown interior
1940 Ford De luxe convertible, painted in Maroon (not sure if its Mandarin, or garnet, etc). Interior is light brown leather. The soft top is missing so I'm looking for the canvas, which I dont know where to buy, what color and what dimension (lenght). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and best regards

mfirth    -- 10-29-2021 @ 5:08 AM
  Welcome....I can't help, but someone will. You may also want to try The Ford Barn. Good info & people there too. Happy Early V8ting !
mike

nelsb01    -- 10-29-2021 @ 6:30 AM
  According to the 1935-1936 Ford Book that the Club has published and is available from the Online Store, these were the 1935 Ford factory production colors:
Black all std and deluxe cars - bright apple green stripe - med apple green wheels
Vineyard Green std Tudor and Fordor sedans and all deluxe cars - bright apple green stripe - apple green or body color wheels
Cordoba Gray std 5 window coupe and all deluxe cars - poppy red stripe - poppy red or body color wheels
Light Gunmetal Gray deluxe cars only - bright apple green stripe - body color wheels
Dearborn Blue deluxe cars only - poppy red stripe - poppy red wheels
Coach Maroon (export color) all std and deluxe cars - poppy red stripe - poppy red wheels

If you are interested in more information about 1935 Ford passenger cars, I would suggest that you think of purchasing the Club's book.

Hope this helps with your 1935.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 10-29-21 @ 6:31 AM

1940 Tom    -- 10-29-2021 @ 8:26 AM
  Good Morning, Martin--

Welcome to the Early Ford V8 Club.

You are correct on the 40 Convertible's color - Mandarin Maroon. The interior color - light brown leather - is also correct. My fellow Club members who are fortunate enough to own 40 Convertibles, can give you some leads as to where to purchase a new convertible top, along with assisting on replacing the car's leather interior - if necessary.

As Bruce Nelson suggested, purchasing the 1935-1936 Ford Book would be invaluable to help with that restoration

As long as you are in the book buying mood, purchase the 1940 Ford Book too - its title is "It's Ford for '40". Scroll over to the dark blue part of your screen, and click on "Online Store" Then click on the link "Ford Books". Both books are shown along with their prices.

Good luck with your projects.

Tom

Bersuit    -- 10-29-2021 @ 12:58 PM
  Thank you for all the answers, I wanted to find out the original color for my vin number, but there is probably no database. Regarding the books, since Im overseas probably difficult to get them, international shipping not friendly here, but I'll se what I can do.
Thank you!

JayChicago    -- 10-30-2021 @ 9:17 AM
  Bersuit: "I wanted to find out the original color for my vin number, but there is probably no database"

You are correct. The car's serial number (Vehicle Identification Number) does not help you determine the original paint color.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15251