Topic: Advice / Assistance Requested

Dream38v8    -- 10-25-2021 @ 2:10 PM
  I installed the new speedometer cable and it broke in the same location as the last one. I lubricated the cable for a day along with the housing. So now either the speedometer or the gear is frozen. Do I need to remove the speedometer to test if it is frozen? Also what is the best way to test the speedometer? If the speedometer works that means either the gear is broke / frozen or the cable was defective. Since the cable broke very close to the transmission I believe the gear is the issue. If so how do I remove / replace the gear? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

nelsb01    -- 10-25-2021 @ 3:25 PM
  If you think it is the speedometer gear, then you will have to remove the floor mat and floor.
I have attached a picture with the speedometer gear circled. Two bolts hold it in place. There will be a number on the casting, that is a reference to the drive shaft gear and if the housing is damaged, you will have to find one with the same number.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-25-2021 @ 3:37 PM
  HI
I think your speedometer is stiff or frozen and or binding,
I would remove the speedometer and try to lube it with WD 40 or light oil,
you can use a square drive shaft, maybe even the old cable,
once you get it to move I use a drill set at low speed to see if it works,
I have used old nail squared off in a grinder, about 1/8 inch with head cut off,
speedometer is pretty easy to remove,
disconnect the cable and the light bulb socket
it only has 2 nuts holding it in place,
if you can not get it to move, you will need to send it out to get fixed ot find another that works
Hope this helps, 37Ragtopman ,

Dream38v8    -- 10-26-2021 @ 5:16 AM
  Thanks nelsb01 and 37RAGTOPMAN for your replies. I won't beable to work on the car for another week. My first plan of attack is the speedometer. I hope this is the issue as I am not a fan of removing the floor. Thanks for the pic and information regarding the gear ratio reference. Using the square head drivers from my drill set is a easy and great idea. If it is the speedometer where would I lub it?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

TomO    -- 10-26-2021 @ 7:44 AM
  The speedometer is probably stuck. If the gear was stuck, it would not break the cable as it would not turn the cable.

I got one free by soaking it in Marvel Mystery Oil for a few weeks. The speedometer gears turn counter clockwise to show speed. Running it clock wise will subtract mileage from the odometer.

WD40 is not a lubricant, MMO is a lubricant and penetrating oil. After the speedometer is free, look for a small depression on the top of the speedometer housing with a tin plug in it. That is where you should lube the speedometer. Remove the tin cup and saturate the felt wick with a light oil. Replace the tin cap and then remember to oil the speedometer once a year to keep it working.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-26-2021 @ 9:45 AM

Use a light oil in where the cable enters it, REMINGTON gun oil is very good for lubing, REMLUBE
reversing the drive will not deduct mile, cause if you backed up you could reduce the miles,
and only goes in one direction, to add miles
I doubt that the drive gear on the driveshaft is frozen, it is protected from the elements
were exactly is the cable breaking, up top or down were it comes out of drive shaft,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

Dream38v8    -- 10-26-2021 @ 6:26 PM
  The cable broke twice approximately 1 1/2 - 2" from the transmission end (near the gear).

Ray

TomO    -- 10-27-2021 @ 8:27 AM
  37RAGTOPMAN, I knew a Lincoln Continental that was sold in the 1990's with extremely low mileage. I knew the owner and he would exercise the car several times a year by driving it around his property several times and then backing up an equal number of time to keep the mileage low.

Used car dealers would remove the speedometer cable and then connect an electric drill to run the speedometer clock wise until the desired mileage rang was displayed. Manufacturers redesigned the speedometer in the 1970' to stop this practice.

Next time you have your 37 out for a drive, record the mileage including 10th's and then back up for at least 1,000 feet and check the mileage again.

Tom

Dream38v8    -- 10-31-2021 @ 11:16 AM
  TomOand 37RAGTOPMAN, I removed the speedometer. Checkout the attached picture. I do not see any place to lubricate the speedometer. I have two questions; 1) which direction does the cable turn at the speedometer head? Clockwise or counterclockwise? 2) How hard should it be to turn with a square drive? Using a square drive and pliers it was extremely tight.

Ray

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15247